Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck again!! Need help :o)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 11:39

Morning
Is there anyone at a loose end out there today? I could do with some help…

I am trying to get more info on my BEBB family tree. This is what I have…

Samuel Bebb c1827 married to Fanny c1833 (maiden name Smith) both from Leominster and at the time of the 1861 census are living in Leominster, Herefordshire with their kids – Charles, Elizabeth, George, Thomas and William…. AND Samuel's brother Thomas who is 22 (c1839)

Fanny died age 53 in 1886 in Keighley, Yorkshire.
Samuel died age 43 in 1870 in Leominster, Herefords

I'd love to have more on Fanny Smith's family. I can find a marriage that looks like it fits in Leominster 1850 on freebmd but it has Samuel's surname as "Dubberly" !!!

In the 1851 census I think I have Samuel's parents living at Laysters, Herefords.:
William Bebb c1806 married to Ann c1791 …and kids= John c1834 and Thomas c1840 – its this Thomas that I think is living with Samuel at the time of the 1861 census. Ann is 15 years older than William!! Where is Samuel living at this time?????

I'm at a loss now as to how I go back one generation further. I'd like to know Ann's (c1791) maiden name and who William Bebb's (c1806) parents are.

Crikey – I hope this all makes sense!
Hope you can help.

Thanks
Vanessa

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Nov 2007 11:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Bebb
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: About 1805 Of, Leominster, Hereford, England

Marriages:
Spouse: Ann Dubberley
Marriage: 11 JUL 1830 Leominster, Hereford, England

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Nov 2007 11:52

Husband
William Bebb Pedigree

Christening:
Marriage: 11 JUL 1830 Leominster, Hereford,

Wife
Ann Dubberley Pedigree

Birth: About 1810 Of, Leominster, Hereford, England
Christening:
Marriage: 11 JUL 1830 Leominster, Hereford,

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 11:53

Have you seen this entry on family search? Williams birth and marriage. A note of caution- this entry has been submitted by someone and not taken from records and it may not be accurate.

William Bebb Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: Ann Dubberley Family
Marriage: 11 JUL 1830 Leominster, Hereford, England

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

Source Information:
No source information is available.

Andy

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Nov 2007 11:55

THOMAS BEBB
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 18 NOV 1838 Leominster, Hereford, England

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM BEBB
Mother: ANN

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 12:05

Is it possible that this is Samuel from 1851? Frances and Elizabeth look OK. The person taking down the details got it wrong!! Double B?

1851 England Census
about Samuel Doubley
Name: Samuel Doubley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Frances
Where born: Leominster, Herefordshire, England

Civil Parish: Leominster
Town: Nether Marsh Ward
County/Island: Herefordshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Leominster
Sub-registration district: Leominster
ED, institution, or vessel: 7f
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 145
Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Doubley 5 Mo
Frances Doubley 21
Samuel Doubley 24

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1981; Folio: 207; Page: 28; GSU roll: 87382.

Andy

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 13:09

By Crikey! You guys are good!!!! :o)
Why on earth can't i find this kind of info - did you get it from familysearch.org website?

I'm wondering now why Samuel is down as Doubley or Dubberly when i think he's a Bebb? Does it look like Ann was married before do you think? After all....she is much older than William so could have had a 'previous life' as such married to someone else!!

Why did they have to go and spell the Dubberly surname different too...aaaarrrgghhh...makes it even harder for me now and i'm not very good at all this as it is!!!!! You have to laugh.....

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 13:13

hang on... i have Ann born in 1791 and you have her down as 1910.... i got the 1791 birth date for her from the 1851 census on Ancestry.... hmmmm......

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 13:15

ah right....and Fanny is usuall the pet name for Francis ???

What would it be that would then change Samuel's surname to Bebb do you think?

Gosh....so many questions...sorry

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 13:32

This looks like William Ann and family from 1841. Ann is 15 years older than William here as well. John ad Thomas are also here but no Samuel.

1841 England Census
about Ann Behl
Name: Ann Behl
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Where born: Herefordshire, England

Hundred: Wolphy

Street address:

Sub-registration district: Leominster
Ann Behl 45
George Behl 9
John Behl 9
Thomas Behl 2
William Behl 30
William Behl 5

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 13:35

Heres Samuel from 1841 with a different family. This census doesn't give relationaships.

1841 England Census
about Samuel Duberly
Name: Samuel Duberly
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
Where born: Herefordshire, England

Hundred: Wolphy

Street address:

Sub-registration district: Bodenham
Ann Davis 30
George Davis 26
George Davis 3
William James Davis 1
Samuel Duberly 16
Mary Magness 23
Elizabeth Nash 11
Henery Thomas 12

Andy

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 13:41

i'm more confused then ever now!!!!!!
I don't know who's a Bebb and who's a Dubberly !!!!! Think i'm going to have to get some copy birth/marriage certificates ordered - which isn't going to be easy when i don't know for definite the surnames!!!

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 13:47

Samuels baptism. Ann Dubberley mother. Born before Ann married William. Could be that Samuel took his mothers married name in later years.

SAMUEL DUBERLEY Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 27 NOV 1825 Leominster, Hereford, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: RICHARD LILWALL Family
Mother: ANN DUBERLEY

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C146105 1807 - 1829 0992234 Film NONE

Sheet: 00

Andy

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 15 Nov 2007 13:48

There is the option that Ann married a Dubberly first and Samuel is a child of that marriage?

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 14:51

hang on...have we got Samuel's dad as a Richard Lilwall....why wasn't Samuel called Samuel Lilwall then.....why take Dubberly....unless they weren't married....

Think i need to order a Samuel birth certificate..and then perhaps one of his sibling's birth certificates - to compare the fathers names....

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Nov 2007 15:14

You can't order a birth cert for Samuel, they only started in 1837, so you would need to check parish records.

It would seem that Samuel and Thomas are half brothers with Ann as mother. If Samuel parents had been married they would have had the same surname in the records, so its probably safe to assume they were not married. Samuel kept his mothers maiden name (Dubberley) until sometime between 1851 and 1861 and then changed it to Bebb. If you order the childrens birth certs you might find when he cahanged it.

The joys of family history research!

Andy

Nessa

Nessa Report 15 Nov 2007 19:31

Thanks very much for your help today. Its going to take time for me to get my head around all this. It looks like my line of Bebbs (my mum's maiden name is Bebb) stops at Samuel.

Once again thanks soooooo much!
Have a great evening.