Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CALLING ALL SMITHS AND TAYLORS. CAN YOU HELP ME?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 26 Jan 2010 14:19

Are there any Taylors or Smiths out there who know or are related to an Ellen Taylor Nee Smith? I am fairly certain Ellen was born between the 26th of March 1918 and the 25th March 1919. I know this because when I was born on the 25th March 1948 Ellen (my mother) was 29 years old.

I was her fifth child and the four other children were named Pauline, Irene, Ronnie (Ronald) and Sheila.

I was born in Lewisham Hospital - London and was adopted by Ivy and Jim Williamson and raised in Bow London E.3.

I was illegitimate so although I have my original birth certificate there is no father's name shown. I do not have an exact date of birth for Ellen, (wish that I did) nor details of her marriage to Mr Taylor. However, I do have a marriage cert that was researched for me along with a birth cert for a Pauline Jean Taylor. Due to the occupations of the husband on the marriage cert and of the father on Pauline's birth cert, these two certs are almost certainly connected to each other. BUT not necessarily connected to me. I just need to check this out somehow to prove they are or are not related to me for the purpose of my search or just to illeminate them.

This has been a 57 years search so far, but now with the Web and access to records, I think one day I will find them. If only there was someone in GR that is connected in someway, life would be so much easier.

Hoping someone can help.

regards

James Williamson formerly Michael John Taylor

James

James Report 28 Jan 2010 15:17

Thank you all for your kind emails. Please bear with me, as I am still learning how to best use this site. Meanwhile God willing a Smith or a Taylor will pick this up and it will mean something to them Oh how I would love to end this search. I fear my mother Ellen Taylor nee Smith may well no longer be with us, but I am ever hopeful that one day I will find my siblings.

all the best

James

James

James Report 16 Feb 2010 09:00

I still hope that one day there will be a Smith or a Taylor out there who will know my Ellen Taylor nee Smith and be able to help me find my family. For those of you who have made helpful suggestions, please know that I am taking your advice, unless of course I have already done what you are suggesting.

I simply cannot believe that for all the members here who are a Smith or Tayor, or who know a Smith or a Taylor there is no one who can help me. I would imagine there must be someone in the Lewisham area where I was born who can help?

here's hoping

James

James

James Report 1 Jun 2010 13:08

Hi dear readers

Just bumping up my thread as I am still looking. Hope one day someone out there will recognise my information and respond. Until then, I remain hopeful

regards

James

James

James Report 22 Jun 2010 11:25

I keep hoping. There must be a Smith or a Taylor out there who is looking for me???

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jun 2010 11:36

hate to be a doom merchant here James, but I think you are living in hope!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Jun 2010 11:37

have you used the Search Trees tab at the top of this page to look for connections on this site

James

James Report 11 Sep 2010 14:27

Hi readers, once again I bump this up in the hope today is the day a Smith or a Taylor will read my message and a huge bell will ring and the massive penny will drop. living in hope

regards

James

Dea

Dea Report 11 Sep 2010 14:39

Hi James,

I am not at all connected and don't know that I will be able to help but am intrigued by this and wonder if I could possibly find anything?

Are you in touch with the other 4 children, or do you know what happened to them?

Do you have your adoption papers - do they show anything useful??

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 11 Sep 2010 15:22

Can't see your siblings' births - were they also born in Lewisham??

Can see some other 'possibles' but not as you have named.!
Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 11 Sep 2010 15:28

James, IF you are serious in your search, can you please respond?

My reply went up within 12 minutes, If you can't stay on line for that period of time, I fear you are not as interested as I thought ??

Dea x

James

James Report 13 Sep 2010 09:16

Hello dear readers, and more importantly helpers.

I have been on Genes re-united for a long time now and I guess like most, I have made my fair share of mistakes, like posting too many threads about the same thing. I guess my thought fior doing this was to keep my search alive. I have been looking for my family now for45 years and I am still no closer to finding them. (I have asked Genes how to delete old threads - can anyone tell me?)

I fully appreciate offers of help, but sadly, because replies to threads are not notified to me by email, I tend to forget to check into 'trying to find' to see if I have had any resonses. This year with the financial crash things have been a nightmare for many people (myself included) and during this time we have sold our house and we are about to move again.

Sometimes the present is more pressing than the past. So please, if I do not respnd, it is not a sign that I am not interested, or no longer wish to find my family. I am already paying a researcher (once again) to try to get somewhere, but alas, nothing as yet. My problem is simply commoness of surname. It was just my luck my mother was born a Smith and married a Taylor!!! Still I'll never give up, but as the years roll by, I begin to wonder whether or not I am doing the right thing. Perhaps I should just let it go. I would love to find my f amily, but my family experineces so far has been no reason to think having a family is the be all and end all.

Enough of this rambling on, I've got packing to do.

Many thanks to all,

James

James

James Report 13 Sep 2010 12:12

Hi Flick,

My adotped mum and dad were Jim and Ivy Williamson. I got the info on my brother and 3 sisters from Ivy Williamson. I was brought up to know I was adopted and it was Ivy who told me their approximate ages and names.

My Bio Mum named Ellen Patricia Taylor, was once living with Jim Williamson's brother Tommy and that is how Ivy & Jim got to meet Ellen and the kids. At that time I was in hospital with Gaestro enterits and no one knew of my existance. When I recovered, Ellen had to explain me away and did this by saying that I was her sister's baby and her sister had cancer! (This is what I was told). Ivy offerred to help by looking after me for a weeek or two and this led to my adotpion. The truth came out and when Tommy was put in prison for something, Ellen took the kids and left not to be seen again.

I have my original birth certificate, adotpion papers and a few other certificates too. I have had researchers working on this, but to be honest, I think the only way we are going to find Ellen and the family is by someone having access to Social Security Records. The problem as I see it, is even if we found what we think is the right birth certificate, how do we go on to find the person?

Thank you for showing an interest, and if you feel you can help in any way, I would be happy to get what I have across to you.

kindest regards

James

Ivy's husband Jim

Ellen (my bio mum) was living with

You refer to four older half-siblings....what is the source of your info about them?

Where were they born?

I hope you don't 'forget' yet again to look for replies on your thread

James

James Report 17 Sep 2010 08:55

I just want to thank both Flick and Dea for their offer of help. This is such a tough call, but who knows what lies among the hidden talents of GR Members.

My biggest hope is that one day a Smith or a Taylor, will stumble upon this thread and a huge bell will ring! One day who knows?

Best wishes to everyone who is searching. it is horrible have a hole in your past.

James

James

James Report 20 Sep 2010 12:03

Hi to all,

Just thought I would pop in and bump up my search. Hope you're having a great day.

regards to all

James

James

James Report 4 Oct 2010 08:58

Perhaps one day, one of my Smiths or Taylors will read this. Who knows?

regards

James

James

James Report 22 Oct 2010 15:19

Hi Readers,

Still in the hope of finding a Smith or a Taylor who knows me. I have been nagged at by people of rhaving more than one thread on here, which I can understand is correct, but some members are just now aware of that. I have removed all threads bar this one. I do not that sometimes members can be a bit frosty to one and other over that way things shud be said or typed. Not everyone for example things that things written in Caps is shouting! Perhaps a little more patience is called for toward people who are looking for lost families and loved ones.

Her's hoping for my 'Taylor' or 'Smith'

regards and good luck to all

James

James

James Report 27 Oct 2010 13:30

Still waiting in the hope that the RIGHT Smith or Taylor will stumble on my thread.

James

James

James Report 11 Dec 2010 18:31

Hi There Taylors!!

Well Christmas is almost upon us and it's that time when families want to be together more than ever. I hope my profile and this message means something to someone out there?? I so want to find any Smith or Tayklor that can help me. I am now huntine Ellen Smith born to Blackburn.

Help please

regards

James

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 11 Dec 2010 21:00

There are 3 people on here with a Pauline taylor born in Lewisham 1935.

Pauline 1935 Lewisham Carol
Pauline 1935 Lewisham, London Ronald
Pauline 1935 Lewisham Tamara