Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jewells of Liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leylo

Leylo Report 23 Nov 2007 23:26

I am trying to find any links anybody may have to the Jewell family in Liverpool.
My Great x2 grandfather Philip James Jewell b circa 1854 (not sure where) lived in Toxteth Liverpool would like to find out who his parents were. Married Martha Sealter (nee Coulthard) b c 1849 in Maryport Cumberland. Had my great grandmother Esther Jewell 1883 in Liverpool she had 2 brothers Philip George Jewell b 1880, William b 1886 and 2 sisters Jane b 1892 and Elizabeth b 1894. Would be good to see if there are any links as this line has come to a dead end.

SueS

SueS Report 24 Nov 2007 11:55

According to the 1891 census he was born Liverpool c1855 and his name is Philip George....he is not on 1881 and 1871 so maybe at sea. Your best bet is to get a copy of his marriage certficiate which will give you his father's name and occupation. Found this on Lancashirebmd

In the results below, the reference number will be a link to a printable application which can be used to order the certificate for the index entry. Full details of the charges and the Register Office address can be found on the form.

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1879
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
JEWELL Phillip SEATER Martha Toxteth Park, St. Michael Liverpool 2068TP

also sent pm

Leylo

Leylo Report 24 Nov 2007 12:15

Thanks for the help I forgot to mentin tht I do have the marriage cert of Martha Sealter and Philip Jewell Philips father was Richard and he was a carpenter but there is no trace of the family in any records I have searched (BMD and cencus even trade directories) before the marriage on 26/06/1879.
It is as if they did not exist before the marriage took place

Also replied via pm

SueS

SueS Report 24 Nov 2007 14:44

there are lots of JEWELLS in Devon and Cornwall and quite a few with Philips and Richards in the family. If his parent's didn't or couldn't marry, It's quite possible that your Philip's birth was registered under his mother's name and that's why you can't find him.

Re Martha COULTHARD, if you find her on 1881 under JEWAL and click twice on next neighbours, it looks like her parents and siblings living at 9 Billington St, father Edward and mother Elizabeth.

Leylo

Leylo Report 29 Nov 2007 22:13

Thanks for this Karen looks like a poss match but I only wish there was a way to find out his mum's name but I guess this will forever remain a mistery especially if Richard was on the seas. Strange that he kept his fathers surname tho when he became an adult, he must have known his father for him to have been put on the marriage cert

Leylo

Leylo Report 29 Nov 2007 22:21

Thanks for help Sue re Martha, the marriage cert says her father was Joseph Coulthard also a carpenter poss worked with Ricahrd Jewell in Liverpool. They all moved to Liverpool from Maryport in Cumbria. One of Martha's bros I think became a sailor.
I've never noticed the other Coulthards on the street but Edward is her younger bro b.1851 and Elizabeth her sis in law b 1853 in Toxteth Park.
Marthas siblings were Sarah, b 1845, Elias b 1847, Edward as above, Margaret b 1854 Jospeh 1857 and Robert b 1860.

Thanks again!