Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry Pridmore Fox Birth?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 20:13

I,m searching bmd on ancestry quarter by quarter, for a Henry Fox (or Bullus or even Holding) born Feb 1900 in Birmingham.
I'm putting in the first name, surname name and year, when I press search it says not enough information.
Was able to do it before this evening, and it's fine with deaths and marriages.
Any ideas

Gail@Andrew

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 20:30

Thanks Jonesey.

I've looked everywhere he's just not coming up anywhere.He was def born in 1900 it's my friends father we have him on the 1911 as Henry Pridmore Fox, but his parents didn't marry until 1907, we assumed he would be under the mothrs maiden name of Holding or even under Bullus her first married name. We know she was Holding as we have his half sister's birth cert.

Mainly wondering why I can't get any births on Ancestry, never had problem before.

Thanks again Gail

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:38

I have that message still on my screen from a search yesterday:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8964

Trying a reload, same thing. Doing the search over, same thing. When I back-paged to the search, to repeat it, instead of telling me I was searching the birth index 1837-1983, it told me "unknown". It seems to be an Ancestry problem.

Why are you doing that search though, rather than just doing the automated search of the database at Ancestry

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8912

or at FreeBMD? For fear of mistranscriptions, maybe, so you can go to the actual image for each surname?

Have you found the parents in the 1901 census? If Henry was born 1900, one would expect he would be with them, or at least with the mother. That could provide a clue ... but presumably he'd be in the census as Fox, as in 1911, if they were living as a couple, even if he wasn't registered that way, true.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:41

Marriages Jun 1907
> BULLUS Louise Gardner W. Derby 8b 915
DUMBELL John Tomlinson W. Derby 8b 915
> FOX Alfred Pridmore W. Derby 8b 915
LANCASTER Margaret Rhoda W. Derby 8b 915

I don't see a Bullus-Holding marriage, though.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:44

No marriage for a Louise/Louisa Holding to anyone who looks like a Bullus 1880-1907.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:47

In view of her middle name at marriage, any chance?

Marriages Sep 1884
Bullers William Chester 8a 514
Bullus William Chester 8a 514
GARDNER Louisa Chester 8a 514
Gardner Louise Chester 8a 514

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 20:55

Heidi.

Henry Pridmore Fox is the father of my friend she says def born Feb 1900. In 1911 he is with Alfred Pridmore Fox and Louise (sometimes Louisa) Fox in Birkenhead . The other names have come from the birth cert of his half sister Dorothy Thornhill Bullus born in 1889 with the mmn as Holding, father William Allen Watson Bullus, Dorothy is also on the 1911 census with the family.

Thanks Gail

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:56

Not unusual for child of unmarried parents to have father's surname as middle name ... but Wright?

Births Sep 1903
Wright Henry Fox W. Derby 8b 594

Maybe he was Alfred's son with another woman altogether. ;)

Or a nephew then taken into the household or that sort of thing.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 20:58

Well -- if her previous husband was William Bullus and she had a child in 1889, she sure looks a lot like the Louise/Louisa Gardner who married William Bullus in 1884!

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 21:05

Births Dec 1889
Bullus Dorothy Thornhill Newton A. 5b 150

Name: Louisa Bullers
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1865
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Wandsworth

Civil Parish: Barton St Mary
Town: Gloucester
County/Island: Gloucestershire

William Bullers 30
Louisa Bullers 26
Dorothy Bullers 1
Lucy Bullers 24
Charlotte Gardner 77
Ada Gale 25
Annie Gladwyn 18

Name: Charlotte Gardner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
Relation: Grandmother
Where born: Birmingham

It isn't all *quite* matching up with your info.

I wonder whether Gardner was Louisa's mother's second husband.

Louisa holds on to the Gardner as her middle name/initial in the 1901 census and when she marries. It could have been her father's surname, but she was registered as Holding before their marriage, or one of those situations.

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:06

Eviebeavie?Heidi
Sorry took a while kids decided they wanted to ask a thousand things at once.

Right I've look at all those births none seem to fit.

The marriage from 1907 appears to be the right one as thats the area the family lived for many years after 1907.

The marriage in 1884 we have seen that so thought yes! then I came across a marriage with the same names in 1886 in Congleton Cheshire for Willaim Allen Watton Bullus and Louisa Gardiner Holding with both fathers names as Willam( William Bullus in 1881 in West bromwich has a father William) but the marriage is locked.

Any thoughts and thanks
Gail

Gail

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 21:11

Name: Louise Gardener
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relation: Granddaughter
Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Aston

Thomas Gardener 56
Charlotte Gardener 57
Elizabeth Gardener 21
Walter Gardener 22
Jane Gardener 19
Mary Gardener 17
Louise Gardener 7

Louise is Charlotte's granddaughter. Possibly child of an unmarried daughter of Charlotte, father Holding ...

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:12

Eviebeavie. You might have someting there as in 1901 Dorthoy and her sister Nora are shown as Bullers, and are in Devon. Will have a closer look at who they are staying with.
Thanks
Gail

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 21:16

What does that mean, "the marriage is locked"?

The Bullus-Holding marriage isn't at FreeBMD, and I can't find it by searching for any of the bits, e.g. by her name, by Bull* ...

You meant William, not Willaim, I assume. And Watton, not Watson?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 21:18

Heidi - I'm not familiar enough with the quirks of the GRO to know about twins. ;)

Is there a Margaret in the 1911 household, and is she the same age as Henry?

That might also go to my theory about him not being their actual son, and being a relation who was taken in.

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:19

Heidi

Margaret is the half sister of Dorothy we can't find her birth registration either.

We do have a Willian A W Bullus dying in 1897 aged 36 in Chester, and on 1911 census Alfred and Louisa have been married 13yrs but we are now sure that isn't true as we have the marriage in 1907 and it's the only one for them we can find.

Gail

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:22

Hi sorry yes I do mean William but the Watton and Watson not sure Nora (Dorothy's full sister is Nora Watton on free bmd) but Dorothy's birth cert shows Watson think someone may just have misheard.

Gail

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:24

Heidi

Margaret is on the 1911 but is shown as Margery and thats what the family always called her, think the 1901 is wrong
Gail

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 3 Feb 2009 21:25

Pursuing the Louisa I've been looking at, grandmother Charlotte -- drat, can't find her in 1861.

In 1881:

Name: Louisa Holding
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Charlotte
Where born: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: West Bromwich

William Holding 44
Charlotte Holding 38
Louisa Holding 17
William F. Holding 15
Henry Holding 13
Elliott J. Holding 6
Charlotte E. Holding 2
Ada Slade 17

Is mother Charlotte a Gardner?

Yes!!!

Marriages Jun 1865
> Gardner Charlotte Aston 6d 331
> Holding William Aston 6d 331
Lloyd Sarah Aston 6d 331
Rohss Arthur Bolton Aston 6d 331

Louisa was born before their marriage. Holding was her mother's husband's name. Given the closeness in time, quite likely he was her father.

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Feb 2009 21:26

Eviebeavie

The locked thing!

On Ancestry when I search for William Allen Watton Bullus it gives me marriages as normal but then there is a marriage with a lock at the side of it

Gail