Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thomas clegg and alice walton(watson) nee astin?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 17:43

Hi
Can anyone help with my search for thomas clegg born approx 1850 in marsden (nelson) and his marriage to alice watson(walton?) nee astin. I think it was a second marriage for both of them. My great grandma ellen clegg was born in marsden in 1886 to this couple. I think she was their first child together . Thomas had others , possibly richard, and maybe one called gertie. I may be wrong, but think they had another child named arthur, not sure if he was one they had together.? They moved to burnley. i know on one of the census, maybe 1901, alice and ellen were together , i think up in the haggate , briercliffe area of burnley. And i think they , thomas and alice, may have seperated. Thomas was a pavior/paver at one time. And i think an address they lived at was colne road , maybe burnley or brierfield?? Its a long time since i have researched the cleggs and am trying to tie up loose ends. Can anyone help??
thanks

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:01

I think i have got my details wrong. Or i have been following wrong thomas and alice? I think i have found them on the 1881 census in burnley, with children richard, jane, arthur and gertie , plus a mary e clegg as a boarder, maybe thomas's sister? My ellen clegg was born later in 1886. But not sure this is correct family? then i think that the above couple married in 1869 and she was named alice harrison before her marriage. But i do think this couple were married before, even if they are not mine. Think maybe jane born 1861 and richard a born 1866 were children from thomas's first marriage. Thomas was born in 1837 from the dates on this census (1881). And alice was born in 1839.
can anyone find another choice for my thomas and alice. ? Where i think i went wrong is assuming park lane where ellen clegg was born, was on padiham road in 1886.
please help!!1

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:09

My apologies for the confusion. The bury family are not the correct ones. Im thinking tyhe free bmd marriage may be the correct parents, and either she is a watson or walton? From my gt grans birth certificate it says her mum is alice walton formerly astin . dad thomas. labourer. Thats all ive got. From this i have assumed that the above thomas and alice were my ellen cleggs parents. Possibly wrongly now. ?

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jul 2012 18:10

Marriage appears under both name on Lancashirebmd 1885

ASTIN Alice -CLEGG Thomas- Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston RM/63/23
CLEGG Thomas- ASTIN Alice- Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston RM/63/23

CLEGG Thomas -WATSON Alice- Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston RM/63/23
WATSON Alice- CLEGG -Thomas Burnley Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston RM/63

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:10

Sorry margee, those bury cleggs arent the correct ones. If they were in burnley i would say yes, but they have no connection to bury. :-)

Shirley

Sorry margee, those bury cleggs arent the correct ones. If they were in burnley i would say yes, but they have no connection to bury. :-)

Shirley

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jul 2012 18:13

If unsure you have the right Alice, you need to check out what suname is on a child's birth certificate

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1878
CLEGG Gertrude -Burnley - records held at Preston

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jul 2012 18:15

If this is your relative then her birth cert should be your first point of reference.

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1886
CLEGG Ellen - Burnley - records at Preston

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:17

oops , sorry posted last post three times. Yes, mike, thanks. they are the correct ones. I have been tracking maybe the wrong thomas and alice all this time. Unless he married an alice twice. ? first one an alice harrison, in 1869, then when alice number one died in 1885 he maybe married alice walton/watson/astin. I have found a death for the first alice in 1885 in february 1885 and for gertie in 1881. Does it say which month he married this alice astin/watson? Surely he wouldnt have married another woman in same year.? Does it give the quarter. ? Or maybe, i have been following wrong alice and thomas all along. ? I think i need to get the certificate for thomas and alice in 1885 to discover the truth. thanks folks :-D

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:20

i have birth certificate of ellen. it says alice walton nee astin. for her mum

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 18:20

i have birth certificate of ellen. it says alice walton nee astin. for her mum

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2012 19:19

Could this be your Ellen in 1891 as niece of Esther Watson?

1891 England Census
about Ellen Clegg Name: Ellen Clegg
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Relation: Niece
Where born: Burnley, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Great Marsden and Little Marsden
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: Brierfield
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Burnley
Sub-registration district: Colne
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 3379
Folio: 57
Page Number: 2
Household Members: Name Age
Esther Watson 42
Elizabeth Watson 17
M E Watson 11
Cathie Clegg 46
Ellen Clegg 4
Alice Stansfield 15

The one listed as Cathie looks like Alice to me, relationship is sister. She's married.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2012 19:53

I think Alice was a sister of Esther Astin who married first William Heaton and then Thomas Watson.

Marriages Dec 1870 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astin Esther Burnley 8e 360
HEATON William Burnley 8e 360

Marriages Dec 1878 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heaton Esther Burnley 8e 405
WATSON Thomas Burnley 8e 405

Here she is in 1881. The Heaton children are stepchildren to Thomas:

1881 England Census
about Mary Ellin Watson Name: Mary Ellin Watson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Thomas Watson
Mother's name: Easter Watson

Civil parish: Great and Little Marsden

Street Address: Halifax Road

Sub-registration district: Colne
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Piece: 4163
Folio: 36
Page Number: 4
Thomas Watson 37
Easter Watson 30
Alice J. Heaton 9
Elith. Heaton 7
Mary Ellin Watson Younger Than 1

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2012 19:57

The Astin/Asten sisters in 1861:

1861 England Census
about Esther Asten Name: Esther Asten
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Father's Name: George Asten
Mother's name: Maria Asten

Civil parish: Burnley
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
Town: Burnley

Sub-registration district: Burnley
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Household schedule number: 178
Piece: 3066
Folio: 92
Page Number: 41
George Asten 47
Maria Asten 35
Ellen Asten 17
Alice Asten 14
Esther Asten 12
Emma Greenwood 40
Mary Ann Greenwood 8
Elizabeth Asten 1 Weeks

The Greenwoods are stepdaughters. Can't quite make out the relationship for 1 week old Elizabeth Asten, think it says daughter's child.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2012 21:30

Ellen with mother Alice in 1901? Alice is listed as married not widowed. They are both cotton weavers but Alice says born Brunshaw?, Lancs. here. Address is 3 Nelson Rd.

1901 England Census
about Ellen Clegg Name: Ellen Clegg
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Mother's name: Alice Clegg

Civil parish: Briercliffe
Ecclesiastical parish: St James

Sub-registration district: East Ward
ED, institution, or vessel: 43
Household schedule number: 89
Piece: 3868
Folio: 31
Page Number: 13
Alice Clegg 53
Ellen Clegg 14

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jul 2012 21:54

Now I'm confused ......

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1886
CLEGG Ellen - Burnley

" ... i have birth certificate of ellen. it says alice walton nee astin. for her mum ."

Surely it should say Alice CLEGG, previously walton, formerly Astin.

Mike *

Mike * Report 10 Jul 2012 22:02

You asked what quarter the marriage was.....

Marriages Sep 1885 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEGG Thomas - Burnley 8e 408
Watson Alice - Burnley 8e 408

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 22:12

Thanks margee, its looking good. But just wondering why then alice was watson on her marriage certificate. Did she maybe marry a watson also, as she was defiantely an alice watson/walton when she married thomas clegg. And on ellen's birth certificate. it said alice walton formerly astin.

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Jul 2012 22:19

Yes mike, sorry, thts what i meant. Alice clegg formerly walton nee astin . But thats obviously meant to be watson and was mistranscribed. But i am still struggling as to why she was ever a watson unless she married one, maybe a brother of her sisters husband thomas?? but i havent found a marriage yet.