Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

STIRLAND, EASTWOOD NOTTS

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tui

Tui Report 21 May 2014 03:31

Hi, Just wondering if there is anyone researching this family. I have found the details of Charles Samuel Stirland b 1873 approx and Sarah Ann Hanson born 1873 and died 13 May 1938. Charles Samuel's parents appear to be William Stirland and Emily Stirland nee Allen born 1859. their other children seen to be William born 1877, Lizzie (Maybe Sarah E), Annie, Polly, Clara. After that I get stuck and may be following the wrong leads. I think I might need the birth certificate of Charles Samuel Stirland and Sarah Ann Stirland. Any help is appreciated.

patchem

patchem Report 21 May 2014 06:10

Welcome to the boards, Tui.

The birth of Charles is showing on free bmd:

Births Sep 1872
STIRLAND Charles Samuel Basford 7b 99

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

If you want to know if anyone else is researching the family then use Search/Search All Member Trees tab, top right, to find them.

I always think it is essential to buy the birth and marriage certificates to help sort out your ancestors.

Have you got full access to the censuses, as it is far more interesting if you look up the family yourself, not have someone on here copying over lots of information for you?

This looks like Charles's death:

Deaths Mar 1941
Stirland Charles S 68 Southwell 7b 768
(also found on free bmd)
If you get the death certificate, the informant may be a family member, which can help with identifying family members.

patchem

patchem Report 21 May 2014 06:17

Just putting the 1911 census for reference:

1911 England Census
Charles Samuel Stirland
Age in 1911: 38 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation to Head: Head Gender: Male
Birth Place: Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, England
Civil Parish: Greasley County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England
Street address: Barber St Eastwood Notts
Marital Status: Married Occupation: Miner-Coal-Face
Registration district: Basford Registration District Number: 429 Sub-registration district: Greasley
ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Piece: 20360
Charles Samuel Stirland 38 married 13 years, 4 children born, 2 living
Sarah Ann Stirland 38 Langley Derbyshire
Albert Leslie Stirland 8
Harold Stirland 2
Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 20360.

If Charles was born in 1872, then I doubt that his mother was born in 1859, as she would be only 13 when she had him.

patchem

patchem Report 21 May 2014 06:24

I think this is your Charles in 1881, so you definitely need that birth certificate:

1881 England Census
William Shirland Age: 31 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
Relationship to Head: Head Spouse: Hannah Shirland
Where born: Underwood, Nottinghamshire, England
Civil Parish: Eastwood County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England
Street address: 48 Princes Street
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Basford Sub-registration district: Greasley
ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Piece: 3321 Folio: 13 Page Number: 14
William Shirland 31
Hannah Shirland 30
xxxxxCharles Samuel Shirland 9
Annie Shirland 7
Lucy Shirland 6
William Shirland 4
Ann Brown 86
Christopher Brown 45
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3321; Folio: 13; Page: 14; GSU roll: 1341792.

Where did you find the information about Emily?

patchem

patchem Report 21 May 2014 06:34

Sorry, I am just posting the 1891, when I said I would let you look for them, but as it confirms what I found, I do not want you to follow the wrong people.

As you will see I found them under Shirland in 1881 and Sterland in 1891 - this is how the people transcribing the census has decided it has been written and/or how the enumerator has written down the surname.

1891 England Census
William Sterland Age: 40 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Hannah Sterland
Civil Parish: Eastwood Ecclesiastical parish: Eastwood
Town: Eastwood County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England
Registration district: Basford Sub-registration district: Greasley
ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Piece: 2659 Folio: 66 Page Number: 48
William Sterland 40
Hannah Sterland 41
xxxxCharles T Sterland 18 (I think it is Charles S on the original image)
Annie E Sterland 17
Lucy Sterland 16
William Sterland 13
Mary E Sterland 9
Elizabeth A Sterland 6
Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2659; Folio: 66; Page: 48; GSU Roll: 6097769.

All right, I will stop looking now, and wait for your comments.

Hope this has helped.

Get the certificates, please.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 08:36

There is no marriage for William Stirland and Emily Allen...................in any case, if EMILY was born c1859, would she really have been giving birth in 1872?

EDIT

Looks like you may have the correct surname, but incorrect forename

Marriages Jun 1871 (>99%)
Allen Hannah Basford 7b 212
Needham Mary Ann Basford 7b 212
SELLARS Joseph Basford 7b 212
STIRLAND William Basford 7b 212

Tui

Tui Report 21 May 2014 09:37

Thank you very much indeed. This is a fantastic wealth of really helpful information which I will have to take time to digest and merge with the material I have gathered. Of course you make a very good point about Emily being born in 1859. I hadn't really checked that as the information came from another family member who also told me Charles Samuel was born in 1883. The transition from Stirland to Sterland has definitely confused me. Yes I have been gathering census information which at first was extremely exciting but became less so when I felt I was going to the wrong way. As you suggest I must get the certificates. Again many thanks

Tui

Tui Report 21 May 2014 09:52

Thank you Reggie for all this helpful information. I also felt I had found the correct family with the Hansons in the 1881 census. But I know Sarah Ann had a brother William who was born in 1880 and he doesn't show so I assumed I was wrong.

I think you are correct about Emily Allen actually being Hannah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 09:54

Always bear in mind that very few people knew how to spell their names.................census enumerators wrote what they heard.

And transcriptions of records are not always entirely accurate..............it pays always to check the image.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 09:59

This one looks likely based on the extra info you have now given

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First Name Last Name Relationship Condition Gender Age Year Of Birth Occupation Birth Place
WILLIAM HANSON HEAD MARRIED Male 36 1845 COAL MINER LOSCOE, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
EMMA HANSON WIFE MARRIED Female 37 1844 - MAPPERLEY, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
AMY HANSON DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 10 1871 SCHOLAR LANGLEY, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
SARAH A HANSON DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 8 1873 SCHOLAR LANGLEY, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
ALBERT HANSON SON SINGLE Male 5 1876 SCHOLAR GREASLEY, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Image Transcription
BETSY HANSON DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 3 1878 SCHOLAR GREASLEY, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Image Transcription
WILLIAM HANSON SON SINGLE Male 1 1880 - EASTWOOD, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Image Transcription

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 10:01

When you obtain the copy of the marriage cert, you will have confirmation of the names of both fathers

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 10:04

Births Sep 1872 (>99%)
HANSON Sarah Ann Belper 7b 476

THIS confirms her birthplace -

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First Name Last Name Relationship Condition Gender Age Year Of Birth Occupation Birth Place
CHARLES SAMUEL STIRLAND HEAD MARRIED Male 38 1873 MINER - COAL FACE EASTWOOD NOTTS Image Transcription
SARAH ANN STIRLAND WIFE MARRIED Female 38 1873 - LANGLEY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
ALBERT LESLIE STIRLAND SON - Male 8 1903 - EASTWOOD NOTTS Image Transcription
HAROLD STIRLAND SON - Male 2 1909 - EASTWOOD NOTTS

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2014 10:06

I have deleted the incorrect record info.

TIP:

When you ask for help - try to tell us ALL you know. It makes a big difference to the searches we carry out

Tui

Tui Report 22 May 2014 02:52

Just wondering if it is likely that Sarah Ann Hanson's birthplace and date could be shown incorrectly on the 1881 census where it indicates Langley as the place of birth and 1873 as the year?

Births Sep 1872 (>99%)
HANSON Sarah Ann Belper 7b 476

patchem

patchem Report 22 May 2014 06:39

The age on the censuses is frequently wrong by a year.

As the census is taken towards the start of the year, anyone with a birthday later on in the year (the majority of people) will appear to be one year younger than they really are.

For that birth record that you posted, if from free bmd, if you click on 'Belper' it will take you a district information page, if you then click on 'here' (for further information) it lists what Belper consists of. Kirk Langley is part of Belper registration district.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2014 08:33

The birth year is not recorded on a census return.

The AGE is recorded, and the transcriber ESTIMATES the birth year based on that entry

So the APPARENT discrepancy, if there is one, is in the transcription

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2014 10:53

Births Dec 1870 (>99%)
HANSON Amy Basford 7b 118

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2014 10:55

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

WILLIAM HANSON HEAD - Male 26 1845 - DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
EMMA HANSON WIFE - Female 27 1844 - DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
AMY HANSON DAUGHTER - Female 0 1871 - DERBYSHIRE

Street LEE LANE
Parish HEANOR
County Nottinghamshire
Country ENGLAND
Registration District BASFORD
Archive Reference RG10
Piece Number 3480

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 May 2014 10:59

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

WILLIAM HANSON HEAD MARRIED Male 34 1817 FRAMEWORK KNITTER WHITWICK, LEICESTERSHIRE Image Transcription
AMEY HANSON WIFE MARRIED Female 35 1816 FRAMEWORK KNITTER HEANOR, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
ELIZABETH FROST DAUGHTER-IN-LAW - Female 12 1839 - HEANOR, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription*************
WILLIAM HANSON SON - Male 6 1845 - LOSCOE, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
GEORGE HANSON SON - Male 4 1847 - HEANOR, DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
GEORGE PARKIN LODGER - Male 72 1779 FRAMEWORK KNITTER & RECEIVING PAROCHIAL RELIEF HEANOR, DERBYSHIRE Image

House Name WOODEND
County Nottinghamshire
Hamlet -
Parliamentary Borough -
Municipal Ward -
Registration District BASFORD
Archive Reference HO107
Piece Number 2126
Folio 95
Page 5

**************step-daughter

ErikaH