Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This Scotland family is so confusing!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 11 Nov 2007 18:35

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help me as I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do next......

Definately correct as I have birth cert -

Birth of Margaret Chestnut on 5.4.1875 in Greenock, Scotland
Parents Samuel Chestnut, sugar house labourer and Georgina Chesnut maiden name Mitchell.
Parents marriage - 20.7.1866, Greenock

I then found Samuel & family in 1881 census in West Ham (I knew that they had come to London to work in Tate & Lyle sugar house)
Georgina was calling herself Jenny but that may have been the enumerator's understanding from her scottish accent!!

Found them in 1871 in Greenock

Found Georgina Mitchell in Greenock in 1861 - a servant age 14

Found George Ann Mitchell in Greenock in 1851 age 4 and thought this must be her - father Thomas Mitchell but no mother. Thomas was a Mason. Son John age 14 (plus Charles 8 & Isabella 7)

1841 - Thomas Mitchell, a Mason & his wife Jane, son James 5 & John 3

I, therefore, assumed Georgina's mother was Jane

Found births in Greenock of James Mitchell 1836, Charles 1841 & Isabella 1843 - parents all Thomas Mitchell, a Mason, & Jean Donaldson. I thought ok Jean Donaldson could also be known as Jane?

Found marriage of Thomas Mitchell & Jean Donaldson 1833 in Greenock.

That all sounds great until I ordered the marriage cert for Samuel Chestnut & Georgina Mitchell which showed Georgina's mother as Helen Mitchell maiden name McDonald!!!!

Could Jean/Jane Donaldson be the same person as Helen McDonald???

Nicki

Nicki Report 11 Nov 2007 18:38

Have you had a look on Scotland's People costs six pound but you can view 5 records for that.

Nicki

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 11 Nov 2007 18:40

Yes I've looked on there to try to find birth record for Georgina Mitchell but wasn't able to trace it - I guess that the only way that I'm gonna find out who her mother was

Sue

Val

Val Report 11 Nov 2007 18:45

see if she is on 1851 cencus as she would have been born about 1847 give or take a year

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 11 Nov 2007 18:52

Yes, she's on 1851 census as George Ann Mitchell age 4 with her father Thomas but no mother - who I assume must've died

Sue

Elaine

Elaine Report 13 Nov 2007 12:45

This is what I found on Scotlandspeople - Parish Records:

You searched for: Surname: "mitchell"; Use Soundex: Off; Forename: ""; Sex: "Both"; Parent 1 Name: "Thomas Mitchell"; Parent 2 Name: "Jean donaldson"; Date From: 01 January 1836; Date To: 31 December 1854;

Page 1 (Free) of 1 (3 records)

No Date Surname Forename Parent Names/Frame No. Sex Parish City/County GROS Data Image Extract

1 06/04/1841 MITCHELL CHARLES THOMAS MITCHELL JEAN DONALDSON FR1719 M Greenock Old or West /RENFREW 564/003 0060 0191

2 03/01/1843 MITCHELL ISABELLA THOMAS MITCHELL JEAN DONALDSON FR1761 F Greenock Old or West /RENFREW
564/003 0060 0272

3 22/03/1836 MITCHELL JAMES THOMAS MITCHELL JEAN DONALDSON FR1593 M Greenock Old or West /RENFREW 564/003 0050 0601

Doesn't look like this is Georgina' mother.

Elaine

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 13 Nov 2007 20:41

hi Elaine

Thanks so much for that - the reason I was sure that Thomas & Jean were her parents was that they had a daughter Isabella which is a family name that has been in every generation to date. They also had a 4 year old daughter, George Ann, in 1851.

Do you think that possibly her birth just wasn't registered?

It looks like Jean Mitchell died sometime between the 1841 & 1851 census in Scotland (probably Greenock) - do you know where I would find the death records for that time period?

Thanks for your help, Sue

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Nov 2007 09:45

Hi Susan

It's very difficult to find online Death Records before 1855 in Scotland.

I can't find a marriage between Thomas Mitchell and Helen McDonald in the parish records, but that is not uncommon, if they were married with a "Layman Preacher" and two witnesses. No luck either with a birth for Georgina Mitchell with the stipulated parents.

I think your best bet is to try looking for Georgina Chestnut/Mitchell's death certificate - that should give you her parents names and would confirm your previous findings.

Elaine

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 14 Nov 2007 17:43

Hi Elaine

Thanks so much for looking for me.

I have the details of Georgina's death but she died in West Ham not Scotland so I don't think the cert would show her parents would it?

How frustrating!!!

Sue

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 14 Nov 2007 18:06

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. ISABELLA CHESTNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 22 JAN 1875 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

2. ELIZABETH CHESNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 24 FEB 1871 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

3. MARY CHESNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 28 NOV 1872 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

4. MARY CHESNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 15 JUL 1867 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

5. ISABELLA CHESNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 03 OCT 1865 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

6. SAMUEL CHESNUT - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 20 JUL 1866 Middle Or New Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 Nov 2007 07:49

Hi Susan,

To be quite honest I don't know how much information one gets from an English Death Certificate. Never had any use for them, but I would presume that parents names would be stated, if known.

Maybe a kind English expert could give some input here.

Elaine

Sue in Sunny Worthing

Sue in Sunny Worthing Report 15 Nov 2007 17:31

Thanks Betty Boo for IGI info - still no Georgina though, how disappointing.

Elaine - I'm pretty sure that, unless it was the death of a child, the parents names won't be on an adults death certificate but maybe I'll order just to see!!

Sue

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 Nov 2007 19:16

Susan - Try asking on the "Tips Board" - You'll probably get an answer within minutes.

Elaine