Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liverpool Parish Records - help needed please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 14:09

Hi all

Does anyone here have access to Liverpool parish records and would look up something for me
please? Well, 2 things please.

I'm looking for details of a marriage 19 April 1859 between John Christian and Elizabeth Rose. Elizabeth is stated as a widow, what I want to know is...does it state what her dead husband's name or occupation was?

The 2nd query is: marriage of Elizabeth Collins to James Rose in 1849, 1st quarter, for this one I just really want to know his occupation.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this.

Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2007 14:12

The marriage cert will not include details of a previous spouse.......

To find out the occupation of James Rose, look at 1851 census.....assuming he hadn't already died.

Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 14:16

Hi Reg

Thank you, yes I already have the marriage cert from the GRO, but I wondered if the actual parish register entry gave more info.

Too many James Rose's and without having any idea of his occupation or parents virtually impossible.

Mary

Sam

Sam Report 15 Nov 2007 14:23

Hi Mary

Parish register entries of marriage (after 1837) are exactly the same as the certificates that you order.

Sam x

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 14:43

Thanks Sam.

I'm really confused now - easily done LOL. Someone found a reference (and posted it on Rootsweb I think) to the marriage of John Christian/Elizabeth Rose which said she was the widow of John Rose glass maker, wondering how/where they found that info cos, as you say, it's not on the marriage cert I've just got.

Ah well, guess that's another £7 wasted in my fruitless search for my elusive Rose ancestors :-((

Mary

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Nov 2007 14:44

Look for her 1st marriage to ? ROSE .
You should have her maiden name from her father's name on the 2nd marriage cert.

Gwyn

Sam

Sam Report 15 Nov 2007 14:45

Could they have married in Scotland? I understand that Scottish marriage certificates have more info on them than English ones but I don;t know if it would name previous spouse/occupation.

Sam x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2007 14:54

Where and when was Elizabeth born?

She is the one whose details would be needed to search 1851 census

Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 14:58

Hi Gwyn

Spent hours last night doing that - found only 3: to John Roads, John Rock and James Rose - what I'm looking for is a marriage to John Rose a glass maker but no joy!! When I found that reference to Elizabeth Rose widow of John Rose I thought Eureka!! a breakthough at last after many years of searching!! but as you can see...I don't know for certain that she WAS the widow of John Rose cos it doesn't give that info on her 2nd marriage cert. which is why I was hoping that the parish reg would give more info.

Hi Sam

I have previously searched SP but didn't have any idea of wife's name then - and I guess even now I can't be certain - but at least it's somewhere to start :-))

Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2007 14:58

This chap is a Glass maker.......could there be a mistake about the first name of 'your' guy?

Name: Elizabeth Rose
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: James
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Eccleston
Town: St Helen
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Prescot
Sub-registration district: St Helens
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 114
Household Members: Name Age
Alice Rose 56 Mother
Elizabeth Rose 25
Henry Rose 21 Brother
James Rose 23 b. Eccleston

Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 15:00

Hi Reg

From the details on this 2nd marriage: Elizabeth Collins age 34 (in 1859) so born 1825 approx. father's name John Collins occ. Book Keeper.

I'm guessing that her 1st marriage was somewhere around 1845 +/- 3 years.

Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2007 15:01

Glass making was primarily in the area of St Helens

Do you have Elizabeth's PLACE of birth?

Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 15:08

Hi Reg

It would be easier to tell you the little I do know, which is:

Henry Rose, married Anne Hicton in 1879. On his marriage cert he says he is aged 24 occ. fitter and father's name is John Rose glass maker deceased. That's it....that's all the info I have!!

I have never been able to positively find this Henry on any census prior to 1881, on this and every census after he states his place of birth as West Bromwich. I have numerous wrong birth certs for him and have had a paid search done of the parish records but still nothing! He may well have been born in W Brom but he certainly wasn't registered there - he could have been registered/baptised anywhere!

Mary

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 15:09

No I don't Reg - I'm trying to find her father John Collins Book Keeper to try and establish that.

Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2007 16:50

Have you any evidence that this Elizabeth is Henry's mother?

Have you found her on any census?

Reg

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 15 Nov 2007 18:42

Hi Reg

Sorry I have been on ancestry looking for John Collins all this time! No joy yet though.

I have never had even the tiniest clue as to Henry's mother's name until I came across the entry about the 2nd marriage of Elizabeth Rose (widow of John Rose glass maker). As you can imagine after all these years of searching I was really excited thinking maybe I will finally make a chink in this brickwall of mine.

You asked earlier if his name - John -could be James, to be honest I have a very open mind about this and haven't ruled out that posibility.

This really is like looking for a needle in a haystack, I have so little information to go on.

Thanks
Mary

Christine

Christine Report 15 Nov 2007 18:49

The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project is attempting to get the parish records online. You could check if they have already done the church records which could contain relevant information. Better still, you could volunteer to transcribe for the project. It needs all the help it can get.

Chris