Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is the cost of birth/marr/death certs in USA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 15 Nov 2007 16:31

I am trying to get hold of a Death certificate in the state of Massachusetts, USA. Have looked on the archives some 2 months ago, and I thought I saw they cost $4 or thereabouts.

However retracing my steps today, a death certificate would appear to cost $42.50!!

I know the name of the person, the place, the year, the volume no and page, and type - death.

The site also appears to want an American address to send the certificate (that is no problem - have cousins in US), can some please shed some light on US certificates for me, especially in Massachusetts and how I go about getting hold of one.

Many thanks
Jo

webwiz

webwiz Report 15 Nov 2007 16:55

http://www.mass-doc.com/massachusetts_death_certificate.htm

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 15 Nov 2007 17:19

Michael

Thank you very much for that. Have just had a peep at the site, and will pass the info onto my cousins in US who can do the deed for me.

Thank you very much indeed. I knew someone would come up trumps with the info

Regards
Jo

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 15 Nov 2007 19:02

Hi Jo.

There are some death records on Ancestry for Massachusetts , if you want a look-up?

Malcolm.

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 15 Nov 2007 19:09

Hello Malcolm

Yes please - perhaps you can find Dorothy May Clarke. She died in 1901 Lenox, Mass. I believe the Vol no is 516, Page 67, but looking on the above site, which Michael has given me, you don't seem to mention Vols and Pages. US Certificates are expensive $42.50. !!! Makes British certificates peanuts.

I think I will have to get a Transcription for $20 to confirm a family story, that she died of Scarlet Fever, aged 5 years old.

Thank you for your help
Regards
Jo

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 15 Nov 2007 19:20

Sorry Jo can't find anything.

Malcolm.

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 15 Nov 2007 19:23

Malcolm

Thank you very much for looking. Shall proceed with a transcription

Many, many thanks