Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 15 Nov 2007 18:42

Hi

I received my Great-grandmother's birth certificate which stated that her father was William Stephens.and mother Susannah (formerly John). Who married in Llanelly. On the census return, showing them in Llanelly with their daughter, my great-grandmother, Matilda Jane, it states that he was born in Crinow, Pembrokeshire, but I can't find anything of him in that area!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Clare

Pete

Pete Report 15 Nov 2007 18:49

Have you tracked them back through all the censuses to see if his place of birth is recorded consistently?

Nicki

Nicki Report 15 Nov 2007 18:50

Could you help by putting dates on your query, so we know what period you are looking at.

Thanks

nicki

Clare

Clare Report 15 Nov 2007 18:57

I did find another one that said he was born in Pembrokeshire...but I think it said Pembroke not Crinow..

I couldn't see another one though.

Clare

Clare Report 15 Nov 2007 18:59

Sorry lol..

Matilda was born 1883, so I found her on the 1891 census. That was the one that said William was born 1829 in Crinow, with the 1881 census I think saying he was from Pembroke..

Pete

Pete Report 15 Nov 2007 19:01

The 1871 says Pembrokeshire, Pembroke

(he's STEPHEN without the final s on that one!)

Clare

Clare Report 15 Nov 2007 19:02

ah, didn't quite realise that lol!

Pete

Pete Report 15 Nov 2007 19:09

Do you have their marriage certificate? It will give a location for them in 1862 as well as their father's names

Clare

Clare Report 15 Nov 2007 19:16

Was thinking of ordering it...

Seems to be the only way to be able to get him!

Thanks,
Clare

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2007 19:35

Have you looked on the Mormon site to see if they are carrying any of the parish records from there?

Click on Advanced Search, go to International Genealogical Index.

Just be sure that any records are EXTRACTED from parish records, not SUBMITTED by a church member .... the latter can be very wrong!!

www.familysearch.org

sylvia

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 15 Nov 2007 19:36

sometimes, they might be listed in the village or town they were born or in the administrative county.

Alot of my family where born in Maryport Cumbria but they are listed as Cockermouth which is the nearest registry office.,,,,

Del

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2007 19:37

I just had a quick look.

Not much help
there are a number of William Stephen(s) born in Pembroke!

Crinow not mentioned!!!!

sylvia