Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Out Pensioner Royal Hospital Chelsea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Nov 2007 20:09

I've just received the death certificate for my GGG Grandfather died 1849 aged 70. It states that he was an out pensioner of the Royal Hospital Chelsea from the Irish Regiment Royal Battallion.

I'd like to try and trace his army records, but don't really know where to start. I tried a google search for the Irish regiment which didn't turn up anything of much use. The Chelsea Hospital website doesn't seem to have records section.

Any ideas as to how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2007 20:16

his records may well be at Kew. I got my grtx 5 grandads through the National Archives site .he was in the Army from 1825-1849 and came out as an out pensioner of Chelsea hospital.

if you put his name in search on the Nat Archives site and find him,you can then follow the instructions on the site to get an estimate for a copy of the docs, this will come by email with a link in that email for you to order. you pay min £10 online but the copies are sent to you by snail mail. takes about ten days.

Good luck.hope you find him

Shirley

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 29 Nov 2007 20:19

Put his name into National Archives catalogue search. Search under reference WO97. If he left the Army before 1855 and his records survive, he was be listed.

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Nov 2007 21:27

Thanks for the replies

I tried the search and drew a blank, but I've found his name under several different spellings so I'll try again.

Andy