Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Biological Half Sibbling Born 1959?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tina Matthews

Tina Matthews Report 30 Nov 2007 16:14

Just found out I may have a half bother or sister that was born in England. My Father was John Carnes and he was stationed there in the Air Force at the time. I have nothing other than that to go on. I don't know if this person was adopted or knows who there real father was, or if the mother kept the child.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 16:32

Hi Tina! Do you have the exact dates your dad was stationed in England?

A child could have been born 9 months after he left, you know. ;)

Or does the information you have suggest that the child was born while he was there?

And do you know where in England he was?

I'd be willing to look through the GRO index of birth registrations for the period in question to see whether there was a child registered with the surname Carnes, although likely that would not have been the case. But just to cover that base, if you'll give any more info you have just so I'm not looking in the wrong place/time, I'll give it a try.

... oops, I missed whatever that post was that's been deleted now. Maybe someone is contacting you privately with info or to offer help. (If you do have more info and want me or anyone else to try to follow up on it, I'd be grateful if you'd post it in the thread here, rather than by PM, just so that it's all together and easier to refer to.)

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 30 Nov 2007 16:34

I would suggest you look for a birth with 'Carnes' as a surname in 1959.....

Then see if the place matches where your Father was stationed.

It's long shot but looks like the only one you have! sorry.

Good luck

Geraldine

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 30 Nov 2007 16:36

Kathryn B

That was me that deleted a post...sorry.

I got something wrong and started again

Geraldine.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 16:44

I always wonder what all the deletions in so many threads are about!

Me, I like the "edit" button. ;)

Our suggestions are the same -- I just assume that Marie is likely in Canada or the US, and not subscribed to Ancestry or such. So I'll do the search, which shouldn't be too time-consuming, but I'd just like as precise an idea of where to be looking for, and when to look, as possible.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 30 Nov 2007 16:47

1959 has last two quarters missing!

:-(

1959 Q1
Anna J Carnes
Howden
2a-235
Mothes maiden name 'Hale'
Looks like 'Howden'is either in Scotland or East Yorkshire?

1959 Q2
Lee E Carnes
Harrow
5f-587
MMN Purkis

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 16:57

Nah, that will just be Ancestry messing up.

It gave me all four. It seems to like people calling from Canada better.

I'm checking the other two ... but I still want Tina to reply with better details.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 16:59

1959 Q3
CARNES Carole
district Sunderland
mother Hornsby
1a 1464

1959 Q4
no Carnes births

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 17:02

Ha, I know -- it's a tip somebody gave on Tips the other day.

The name "carnegy" is an addition in Q4, so Ancestry helpfully ... no, asininely ... calls it the last name on the page.

Ditto Q3. Carnelly is added at the bottom.

I happened to have mistakenly typed Carne rather than Carnes for the search. Serendipity struck.

The tip that it's wise to type only the first part of a surname for searching GRO images seems to be a good one.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 17:06

1960 Q1
CARNES David
district Stoke
mother Griffiths
9b 782

And I'm not gonna go no farther w/o more info.

Oops, I mixed up district and MMN for one of the previous ones. Ignorant foreigner, me. I've fixed it.

Tina Matthews

Tina Matthews Report 30 Nov 2007 22:54

Yes I would be greatful for any help, thank you so much. I know for sure my mother Sandra Hurst was pregnant with me I think 4 months when she married my father John Calvin Carnes (also called himself (Jonny) and a woman called my Grandmother Louies Hurst claiming to be with child also. I was born July 1959, my parents where married the 26th of Febuary 1959 in Norbiton Surry England. My mothers address was 127 Kew Rd Richmond. This is all the info after going through my mothers things.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Nov 2007 23:42

Just some clarification ... okay, I get it. Your father was John Carnes, and you think he may have had a child with a woman who wasn't your mother, born possibly before but more likely after he married your mother.

Okay, so that woman was pregnant at the same time as your mother (per the report) -- but did she call your grandmother before the marriage? Presumably. So that child could have been born anytime between, say late 1958 (at the far outside) and the fall of 1959.

So we've covered 1959 in the posts above -- those were the only Carnes births in England that year.

Now, checking the last quarter of 1958 just for good measure:

Q4 1958
CARNES Keith G
mother: Cartlidge
district: Stoke
9b 725

Now that's interesting. Two births in Stoke -- Q4 1958 and Q1 1960 -- with father Carnes, two different mothers. What it really looks most like, though, is a Carnes family in which two brothers were having families.

Somebody here needs to tell us what "Stoke" is referring to. I don't really know -- there are so many Stoke this-s and Stoke that-s in England. Is it in Devon?

The only way you're going to know whether any of those births are connected with you is to order the birth certificates, which I understand you can do.

I think your real problem is that it is very very unlikely that the child would have been registered in the name Carnes. He was married to another woman, and I'm sure that his name would not have been accepted as father without his consent, and I imagine it's unlikely that would have been forthcoming.

Okay, there's a bit more that's within my capabilities. To see whether any of those Carnes babies married after 1984.

And here we have:

Name: Keith G Carnes
Spouse: Ruth S Eyres
Date of Registration: Jun 1992
Registration district: Merton
Registration county (inferred): Surrey
Volume Number: 14
Page Number: 663

In Surrey, interestingly enough.

If you go here:

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

and search for Carnes in Surrey, you'll find what is undoubtedly him -- but also two other Carnes-s, suggesting they are indigenous rather than imported stock.

Name: Anna J Carnes
Spouse: Paul Sydenham
Date of Registration: Aug 1991
Registration district: Wrekin
Registration county (inferred): Shropshire
Volume Number: 30
Page Number: 724

Nothing for Lee Carnes, who could have married earlier or not married.

There are about 30 Carnes deaths registered in England after 1984 -- not a common name. None in Surrey.

So that's about the best I can do --

- order the birth certificates
- look for them in the phone book (under husband's surname in the one case)

But if there was a child and s/he was born with a surname other than Carnes, your task is monumental, especially from the US.

My only other suggestion is that you google your heart out looking for organizations that serve the children of foreign servicemen in England, and put your (possible) info on record so that anyone who matches the details and is searching for his/her father might one day find it. And best luck and wishes to you.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Dec 2007 00:10

Tina

When you say..."and a woman called my Grandmother "
Do you mean some woman telephoned your Grandmother saying she was also pregnant?

Sorry, language barrier...

Also....do you know where your Father was stationed when he was in England in the air force?

English Air Force? RAF?

Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Dec 2007 00:21

Stoke====

Stoke-on-Trent. Staffordshire.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Dec 2007 00:24

I can translate. ;)

Yes, it means a woman telephoned her grandmother. I've got so used to the Brit idiom of "a boy called Sue", from too much Coronation Street and EastEnders and Judge John Deed, that it confused me for a minute too. We North Americans say "a boy named Sue". A boy called Sue ... and asked her out for dinner.

Heh. The person at ebay Australia who is "searching for the sheet music of the Johnny Cash song, A Boy Called Sue" is going to have a hard time.

I believe Tina's father was in the US forces, as that is where they now live, the US.

Oh -- I'm now assuming her father was stationed in Surrey, since that's where her mum lived.