Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Ernest Dawsons family from Stockton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 2 Dec 2007 07:56

Since 1985 I have been trying to find the off spring of my Dad Ernests b.1923, brothers and sisters siblings, (my cousins). He was born in Stockton.

I had at one time thought he was a lone child but we now know that there was Frederick G Dawson b.1912, Florence M Dawson b. 1914, Doris Dawson b.1916 and John T Dawson b.1919. Their parents were John Dawson b.1886 and Annie Maria O'Neil b.1887. (m.1907).

Any help with with my aunts and uncles and cousins would be great.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Dec 2007 08:10

Do you know the siblings' exact dates of birth, Daryl?

It's very likely that one or more of them died between 1984 and 2005, and the record of their death could be found in the GRO index (searchable at Ancestry).

Seven John Dawsons born 1919 died in that period, for instance. Two of the deaths were registered in the Durham Central district, which might be of most interest; the birthdates were 27 Nov 1919 and 14 Nov 1919.

For the sisters, a search could be done for their deaths using given names and exact dates of birth.

(I assume from what you say that your dad is deceased; just for illustration purposes, there are 4 deaths of Ernest Dawsons born in 1923, between 1985 and 2003.)

If records of death were found, death certificates could be obtained which might provide family info. It might also be possible to find newspaper obituaries on microfilm at a library, which would undoubtedly have any children's names.

If you do have that info, post it and I'll take a look (tomorrow; it's 3 a.m. Canada time now and I have to get a little sleep). Or someone else who comes along might do it.

If not, you might want to order those birth certificates to get that information and then search for death records.

Peter

Peter Report 2 Dec 2007 10:17

Hi kathryn B.
Its actually my hubbies family. Up untill a few months ago, (his Dad died in 1983), we could only find his death and marriage but no birth and no parents which added to a very tight lipped man left many an enigma. We got help from the Tyne Tees indexes ladies and we got Ernests birth certificate an his parents marriage certificate, (from Parish records). Between marriage and his birth there were 18 years so we suspected there were siblings however its not been easy. (We live in South Africa). I was born here and my hubbie Pete has been here for nearly 50 years and never had contact with any aunts or uncles. It looked like Ernest was disowned by the family. It would be nice if Pete could get in touch with one of his cousins.

Another problem!,

I see you are in Canada and I wondered if you can guide me in respect of Canadian indexes. I have an aunt Margaret Pollington b.1913, (maybe Farrington), who went to Canada as a teenager and got married there, (English law meant a special licence was needed for under 21), we never knew her married name and it was possibly Cope or Porter but the marriage only lasted a year or two then our auncle sent her money to sail back to England.

Would be nice if we could trace her marriage in Canada. What do you think.

Best regards

Daryl

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Dec 2007 10:49

Sadly, no magic tricks for Canada. Vital statistics are registered by each province separately (as for the states in Australia). Personal information is strictly protected for long periods. At the moment, marriage info for Ontario, e.g., is publicly available only up to 1924 -- i.e. not even the fact of the marriage can be disclosed. So there are no searchable indexes beyond that date.

The cutoff is generally about 70 years, so if she married around 1930, you only have a few more years to wait! Wait -- that's 70 years already. Hmm. Maybe Ontario is longer than that.

I'm so tired I can't sit up, so I can't be any more use tonight ... this morning.

But as far as those birthdates, you don't know them, but you can get them, by ordering the birth certs. Florence, e.g.:

Name: Florence M Dawson
Year of Registration: 1914
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: O'Neil
District: Stockton
County: Durham, Yorkshire - North Riding
Volume: 10a
Page: 188

If you don't have that info for all the births, go to

http://www.freebmd.org

and search for the names, which is easy since you know the mother's birth surname. You need the year, quarter, district, volume number and page number to order the certificate at:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Takes about two weeks to get them, they cost between $15 and $20 Australian each.

I'd really recommend it, because then you'll be able to definitely identify any deaths -- including by searching back before 1984 if necessary, in the untranscribed images -- and then order the death certificates etc. Best way I can think of, for getting any crumbs of info about living descendants!

And so to bed ...