Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Harris-Ross

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 2 Dec 2007 10:36

Harris-Ross, especially with India connection, desperately wanted to help trace my mother's ancestors. Sometimes seems to have gone by the name Ross. She was born in India; with 2 sisters and apparently 2 other brothers. One may have died. Other was Cecil Phillip John Harris-Ross. Her mother was a "June"; father unknown. Attended Presentation Convenant, KodaiKanal in the 1940s.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Dec 2007 01:47

Susan - do you know when and how the Harris got attached to the Ross?

Double-barrelled names are a little outside my own family line, but I do have a connection with the Lovett Cameron family. (My gr-grfather's sister's husband's sister married one.)

I set out to track down Lovett Cameron descendants, since the batch of them in one family born in the 1890s would have been first cousins of the children of my gr-grfather's sister -- a person I'd never heard of before I found her in the censuses. I want to find *her* descendants.

I met one person at GR who is a descendant, although she didn't know how -- I've since reconstructed the entire family from 1800 to 1900! Their name came from a marriage in 1797 between Hector Cameron and Elizabeth Lovett. They also have a big India connection -- the one whose descendants I'm interested in was born there and was chief engineer of Bombay in the early 1900s, and his father was with the East India company.

Some of them today are Lovett-Cameron. In the 19th century, most of them indicated the "Lovett" by the initial "L", which becomes part of their given names in most records. Sometimes "Lovett" is shown as a given name.

What I'm getting at is: might that have been the case with your Harris-Ross-s?

Your post is distinctly lacking in details, like dates of birth of the people whose ancestors you're trying to trace.

... Okay, I've searched the deaths database; your mum's mother died in 1993, and was born in 1912? Cecil died in 1995, and was born in 1930.

I checked at

http://www.fibis.org

for records with the surname Harris-Ross, but no results. Checking for surname Ross, dozens, of course. They've messed with their search function, and I find it almost incomprehensible ...

A "quick search" for Ross produced all those results, but also gave me the option for an advanced search (which I can't find any other way). No results for first name Harris, surname Ross. A manageable list of results for first name H, surname Ross. You might want to take a look. Most are irrelevant, or of completely unknown relevance, of course. Also, the dataset so far includes only limited date ranges, and not likely ones that you want.

But if you haven't tried that site, you might want to look around, and maybe ask for some guidance there.

Do you know where in India your mother and her siblings were born? Searching for surname Ross between 1900 and 1940, here is one record there that could be of interest:

Baptism Year 1934
Place of Baptism BENGAL
Baptised First name Desmond Walter
Baptised Surname Ross
Volume 560
Folio 115
LDS Film Reference 0528989
Source Name B M B v.
Source Year 1934

There's an LDS number there, but I don't see anything in the IGI.

Well hmm, I wonder whether there's any connection here:

CECIL ROSS
Birth: 25 JAN 1856 Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Father: CHARLES ROSS
Mother: ELEANOR HARRIETT

Submitted and completely undocumented, but nothing should be sniffed at!

This one, on the other hand, has a proper batch number:

Cecil Valentine Prince Ross
Birth: 02 FEB 1883
Christening: 09 MAY 1883 Palaveran, , Tamil Nadu, India
Father: Josiah Ross
Mother: Josephine

batch C750251 -- but he's the only Ross there.

Two Harris-s, though:

1. William John Harris - John Harris and Ellen
Gender: Male Christening: 29 NOV 1883 Trimulgherry, , Tamil Nadu, India

2. Charles William Harris - Arthur Harris and Rose Virginia
Gender: Male Christening: 03 NOV 1883 Ootacamund, Tamil Nadu, India

1883 is the only year in the batch. C750252 has 1884.

I gotta get to work, so I'll leave you with that disjointed babble!