Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viz Patient ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 2 Dec 2007 19:45

I have a John Norris born {1851} in Shoreditch. But 1881 census he was a Viz Patient in the London Hospital can anyone tell what would of been the most likely thing wrong with him and how much would of it cost him to be in there? thank you.

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Dec 2007 19:59

Can't see the record in the 1881, can you post for reference?

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Dec 2007 20:16

I think the "Viz" is misleading.. they were termed "inmates viz patients" ... I have looked at all the records for the London Hospital, and it starts listing the staff from Surgeons to cooks.. then onto the patients. I think this was a genuine patient in a hospital, not an inmate of any sort of institution.

You may find that records are available in the London Metropolitan Archives of what the London Hospital was commonly treating at the time and what the typical financial arrangements were.

Also try the A2A website to see if archives are held anywhere else.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Dec 2007 20:18

Ann

Have you seen the image?

John Norris
Inmate viz Patient
Married
Cabinet Maker
Middx Shoreditch

As to why he was there, well from the hospital website this is what they say for 1876...

'30,000 patients a year were now being treated, most without governors’ letter of recommendation and the average number of patients in the Hospital was 650. The hospital struggled to keep pace with the growth of industry and population in the East End, the consequences of poverty and the rise in industrial accidents.'

http://www.bartsandthelondon.nhs.uk/aboutus/history/royal_london.asp

I have checked the LMA site and it doesn't look as if they have any records for the hospital...I wonder if the hospital has it's own museum?

He was probably in there for some illness that was prevelant in the East End at that time or maybe due to an accident while working. Just a guess :)

Chris

**Update** From A2A it does look as if the hospital has it's own Archive and Museum.

Ann

Ann Report 2 Dec 2007 20:34

Thank you everyone so very kind of you to seach that for me thank you again.