Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lunatic Asylum Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 2 Dec 2007 21:21

Dear All

Hopefully, someone can help.

I have been struggling to obtain information in relation to my GGGG Grandfather William Smith b. approx. 1853 Birmingham Warwichshire. I have recently obtained his death certificate which states that he died on 9th April 1922 in a Lunatic Asylum in Hatton.

I am despirate to find out his date of birth in the hope that it will take me to the next generation.

Anyway as the death certificate of 1922 does not give a date of birth or any other records I was wondering if it is possible to actually obtain copies of the medical records from the Asylum and how I would actually go about obtaining them. I would love to know why he was actually there. His death certificate just stateds that he died from central softening which I am assuming could have been a heart attack.

I would be soooo grateful for any help.

Many thanks
Emma x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 2 Dec 2007 21:33

Warwickshire Archives have some records on the hospital. You could email them. As records are less than 100 years old, you may need permission to look at them. Softening, I would imagine, refers to the brain.

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 2 Dec 2007 21:37

Hi Emma,

Try this link. The records are held here and are available on-line!

If the link won't work, just try googling Hatton Lunatic Asylum and the website will come up.

Deb:)

www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/380FA0BC9ED2E20080256BC6003DFDF1 - 30k

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 2 Dec 2007 21:43

Also, Ann is right. Softening does refer to the brain and is related to alcohol abuse, sometimes known as Wet Brain............................brain damage!

Deb:)