Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Willcocks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 19 Aug 2007 16:34

ELIZABETH WILLCOCKS c1838. I am trying to find Elizabeth WIllcocks who I believe was married to my G Grandfather Francis Lawther. I can get absolutely nowhere, especially as I cannot seem to view any of the census information on my computer. I've wasted loads of credits trying!! She would have lived in London at the turn of the 20th century although not necessarily have been born there. Please help! Thanks

Allen

Allen Report 27 Oct 2007 00:56

Penny,

I checked the Free BMD and there is not a single marriage between a Lawther and a Willcocks from 1838 to 1910. Are you sure you have the right names. Lawther by the way is a Gateshead/Newcastle area nane and Willcocks is from Devon.

Regards

Allen Willcocks

June

June Report 29 Nov 2007 22:08

Hi Allen,

Please educate me - what are these free BMD records? Where can I find them?
Regards,
June

Heather

Heather Report 29 Nov 2007 22:28

Firstly, DO NOT buy credits on here - a sub to ancestry can be had for £80 a year - or cheaper if you google for offers. In fact buy yourself a familytree maker 2006 program from twr computing online for less than a tenner and you get at least a fortnight free sub on ancestry - all the census plus lots more and the complete bmd index. You can sit on it 24/7. Plus you will have a decent family tree program which you can save to disc, to online storage and create your own home page.

freebmd is a free site - just google for it - wonderful volunteers have been transcribing the bmd index for years and though its not complete it does cover up to the early 1900s and the wonderful thing is its name searchable.

Go over to tips board and read tips for newbies.

First point being, you should be working backwards - buy your GF's birth cert which will give both parents full names - then you can look for a marriage with the right couple and keep working backwards through census and certs to validate the line.. Birth certs are £7 using the GRO ref found on freebmd or the complete index -

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Nov 2007 22:48

Ah, I couldn't resist. I've got work I should be doing.

At freebmd, searching for marriages with husband Francis Lawther and wife Elizabeth, only this possibility (since this Francis and Elizabeth may not have married each other):

Marriages Jun 1885
LAWTHER Francis Shoreditch 1c 222
MORSS Sarah Eliza Shoreditch 1c 222
Quayle Edward Allen Shoreditch 1c 222
Wells Elizabeth Shoreditch 1c 222

They'd be a little old. Maybe Wells was Elizabeth's married name. ... Don't see a Willcocks (or phonetically similar) - Wells marriage.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 29 Nov 2007 22:59

Penny -- if you want to offer a little more info, I'll take a kick at censuses.

Francis's date and place of birth, or approx, would be a good start.

Names and approx dates and places of birth of children is the other thing needed.