Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Middy

Middy Report 18 Jun 2017 10:45

Hi All

I am back on the Family Tree hunt after a long break - was looking at either subscribing with Ancestry or Find My Past, FMP has the 1939 Register which I am really interested in, can I ask which site you feel is better?

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jun 2017 11:00

I don't think either one is better than the other - they both have things that the other doesn't. It just depends on which records would help you more.

Personally I have Findmypast - but that is really only because I was given a year's free access to it when Genes tried to set up a "Help Clinic" (which didn't last), but I have subscribed to Findmypast ever since.

If you would like a look up on the 1939 register just ask.

Kath. x

Middy

Middy Report 18 Jun 2017 11:16

Hi Kath

Many thanks for the response.

I previously had Ancestry - feel cheeky asking for look ups though

I will have a little think

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jun 2017 11:32

Don't feel cheeky. I hardly use my subscription as it is, so would be good to get some use out of it as I'm not doing much on my own family tree just now and I've found most of what there is to find on the 1939 register.

We are going out for lunch shortly but I can look up anything for you later this afternoon.

Kath. x

Middy

Middy Report 18 Jun 2017 11:36

Ahh thanks Kath that is really kind of you

Enjoy your lunch x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jun 2017 15:33

Back online now Middy so if you have anyone you want me to look for just shout.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jun 2017 19:23

Middy ..............

I now have both ancestry and FMP

I subscribed to ancestry back in 2004 when I first started researching.

Tried FMP some years ago when they offered a very cheap sub to the US version .......... hated it! Hard to use and just didn't have the records.

But it seemed to get better and had records that ancestry didn't have ............ not only the 1939 Register, but Parish records, and lots of overseas ones.

OH bought me a sub for my birthday 2 years ago, and I found lots of information on it, and now he buys me the sub every year (as well as giving me the ancestry sub for Christmas).

I have just the second tier sub to Ancestry ....... ie, not overseas. But have full world sub to FMP ......... and that is the one that you need for the Register.

Both sites are expensive ........ lots of people keep their eyes open for "offers", but they always seem to come at the wrong time for me.

Which do I like??????

I find ancestry the easiest to use.

I find FMP more cumbersome .................... in the sense of having to filter through a lot of information that is not what I want.

I get good information from both sites. As Kath said, each has things the other doesn't

BUT do remember that there are still quite a few members on here whose tongues are hanging out just waiting for someone to ask for help or a look out! You will be inundated with offers if you post a request .:-D

Never, ever, feel guilty about asking :-)

My suggestion would be to subscribe to one, and ask for help from the other. If you decide you are asking for too many look-ups from that one while not really using the other, you could always not renew the one and subscribe to the one you are using.

OR take a free 2 week trial ................. but remember a) you have to register and give your credit card information, b) they will activate that immediately on the 14th day, so do not delay if you do not wish to continue. Email them at least 3 days before the end of the trial that you do not wish to continue with the sub.

Then watch your credit card to make sure they haven't taken the money!

Middy

Middy Report 18 Jun 2017 19:41

Thanks Sylvia, really appreciate the information - I am going to get myself organised for next weekend so I may be back on here then, hopefully not asking for too many look ups

Thanks again

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 19 Jun 2017 16:24

Kath, i'm sorry to be so cheeky but just came across this post.
would you mind looking up something for me please?
Lorraine :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Jun 2017 16:41

Just let me know what you would like Lorraine.

Kath. x

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 19 Jun 2017 18:37

thanks so much...

My search is regarding Margaret Mahoney born 1910 in Rotherham, UK

I'm trying to find who she married & who her children were.
I have been told she had 2 boys, one of them called Timothy. This would have been after 1937. Im told she moved to London, but im not 100% on that.

Could you see if you could find anything please? I've looked all over using ancestry search but dont have access to 1939 Register.

Lorraine

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Jun 2017 19:40

Would she have been married by 1939?

There are lots of marriages for the name Margaret Mahoney but none that looks like her to me - certainly not in Rotherham.

If you have any more information can you add it here please.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2017 19:50

Lorraine

you can do a free search of the 1939 Register on FMP.

That will bring up some names, and you may be able to sort through to find the more likely possibilities. Then you could ask for someone to open the image for you to get the full details.

If she married before 1939, she will be on the 1939 in her married name NOT her maiden name .... so looking for her under Mahoney will be not give any results.

If she married after 1939, she will be on there in her maiden name as well as the married name.

Also .................. the Register was only maintained up until about 1991. Anyone born after about 1925* and before 1939 who had not died or married by 1991 will be shown as a closed record.

NOTE:- this does not seem to be a fixed year. The "supposed" date is 100 years old, but my aunt and uncle were born between 1894 and 1904, both died in Australia, and their records are still closed, as are those of their children (5 moved to Australia where 2 are still alive; 1 died after1991 in the UK).

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 19 Jun 2017 20:15

Thanks Kath

I only know she wasnt married in 1937. As I said, she could be in London rather than Rotherham.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 19 Jun 2017 20:19

Thanks Sylvia