Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dorothy Marks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jan 2008 14:41

Hi
I am looking for info in regards to my grandmother Dorothy Marks.
Her y.o.b. was 1915.
She was born in Morriston/Swansea and lived there all her life.
Dorothy da a Brother Named Daniel,i am not sure who was the eldest though.
Dorothy has Three Children all of whom are still alive.
The reason that i am asking for info is because the Surname Marks has come up and there is no sign of any marraiges along the line with the surname Mark,s in it.
There has been a mention of a William Marks but i do not know how he is connected.
If anyone has any info please let me know via this sight.
Many Thanks,
Hel.

Sam

Sam Report 8 Jan 2008 14:47

Name: Dorothy Marks
Year of Registration: 1915
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: Marks
District: Swansea
County: Glamorgan, West Glamorgan
Volume: 11a
Page: 2298 (click to see others on page

Dorothy's mothers maiden name was also Marks which suggests that she was illegitimate and you probably won;t find a fathers name on the certificate although if you get the cert you will at least find her mothers name.

Sam x

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jan 2008 17:35

Thank Sam.
The trouble with my family tree is that they had a tendancy to alter their names.
This i discovered when i traced dorothies mother.
I was informed that dorothies mother was called alice marks.
On dorothies funeral plot is alice marks,but on dorothies birth cert is a woman known as mary-maud marks.
So i have tried every route to try and discover who mary-maud marks was ,but to no avail.
But i found alice-may lewis who was dorothies mother.
I just wanted to try and discover where the surname of marks came into my family as i cannot find a marraige for alice may lewis/alice marks or mary-maud marks.
Or whatever they wish to be known as.
Total headwork.
But thank you ever so much for looking.
Best Wishes,
Helen.