Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Jenkins Aitken

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 9 Dec 2007 22:35

Hi All
My Grandfather, Willim Jenkins Aitken was married twice about the turn of the last century, sadly his first wife died leaving two sons Archie and George, my grandfather re-married and had a further 3 children Ronald Catherine and Audrey but I know nothing of what happened to my fathers two half brothers other than they were both put into Quarriers homes and eventually sent off to America. If anyone can help me trace my half uncles or give me any further family info I would be delighted.
Thanks

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 12 Dec 2007 06:58

do you have approx date of birth for archie and george and where they were born

lorraine

Ethel

Ethel Report 12 Dec 2007 09:33

Hi Brian. You do not give a clue as to where they may have come from./ I have found the following. Cannot be sure this is the family you want.

There is a Webtree on Ancestry
(owner Jamesrpx)
William Jenkins Aitken. Born 1889 Glasgow.
Wife. Elizabeth Hunter Crum. (born 1892-1953) aged at marriage 37. 29.9.1926. Glasgow.
Son Ronald Aitken. born 29.9.1926. Glasgow.

Does this sound right.

If so, then a copy of the Marriage certificate should give confirmation of his age, his Father's name and occupations and witnesses who may be siblings.

as this would, I presume be the second marriage, then further search needed for the first.

I can find reference to a William J.Aitken on the Scotland Census for 1901 20 years old. c 1881.????? Boarder in Stevenston. Doubtful, but worth keeping.

I can find a William J Aitken marrying in Oxford. 1910. vol 3a 2293. to either Amy H Collar or Selina Simms. but again no clue as to connection. You need the marriage certificate for the second marriage to work backwards.
Unfortunately, on Ancestry they have all the names of the people on 1901 in Scotland but the Registry in Scotland will not let them put the family details. Not sure why. Hope this is of some help. Ethel.