Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHARLES ANDREWS b 1870

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diann

Diann Report 1 Dec 2007 23:51

My g-grandad CHARLES ANDREWS was born in 1870 although I have no documentary proof!

His wife was Sarah & they lived in Woolwich, where they appear on the 1901 census at Claremont St.

The main problem is that I cannot find HIS parents or where he was born because I have no other information to go on. I also do not know Sarah's surname, so tracing her & her family is also a huge problem. On the 1901 census, an 'uncle' of Charles is named as George Watkinson aged 59, a navvy, born in Cambridge, but even checking the Cambridge BMD has given me no further answers.

Charles & Sarah 'might' have been married in 1890 in Woolwich.

Their children were Alice 1890-1903, Sarah 1894 married Ben Smith, Lillian (Lizzie) 1898 married Alex Adams, Ethel 1899-1957 (my grandma) married Michael Ahern, Emma 1904 married Stan Parker, & Charles 1907-1907.

Charles's wife Sarah died along with her son Charles during/just after childbirth in 1907.

Charles died around the early 1950's.

If anyone could help with information, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Andrew

Andrew Report 1 Dec 2007 23:54

Do you have any of the childrens birth certs? That would give you Sarahs maiden name.

Andy

Julie

Julie Report 2 Dec 2007 00:13

Alice's birth

Births Mar 1890 (>99%)

Andrews Alice Agnes Woolwich 1d 1259

Marriages Mar 1890 (>99%)

>>>Andrews Charles Michael Woolwich 1d 1204
HAWES William Woolwich 1d 1204
Hutchings Abiathar Reid Woolwich 1d 1204
>>>Taylor Sarah Ann Woolwich 1d 1204

Birth would confirm marriage

Pam

Pam Report 2 Dec 2007 00:14

Would this be your Ethel Andrews ?

First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1899 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrews Ethel Grace Woolwich 1d 1242b

Purchasing this birth certificate will give you mother's maiden name.

www.gro.gov.uk to order the certificate and it will cost £7 with this reference.

Julie

Julie Report 2 Dec 2007 00:15

Sarah A Taylor
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Lambeth, London, England

Civil Parish: St George The Martyr
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary Magdalene
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: St Saviour Southwark
Sub-registration district: Kent Road
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred J Taylor 29
Allen F Taylor 19
Elizabeth Taylor 60
Elizabeth Taylor 24
Sarah A Taylor 22
William Taylor 59

Diann

Diann Report 2 Dec 2007 00:43

Hi Julie..thanks but he wasn't married to Sarah Taylor, already paid & been refunded by gro certs because Sarah Taylor was married to someone else! You got the right details for their daughter Alice tho...many thanks.

Hi Pam..My g-grandma was Ethel Maud Mary Andrews, not Ethel Grace, but thank you for trying.

Hi Andrew..I didn't realise the mum's maiden name was on the certificate so I'll try the records office for my g-grandma's birth cert...thank you

Thank you for all your help & best wishes.

Alan

Alan Report 19 Dec 2007 15:21

I have a Charles Andrews 1869 Born Ickleton, Cambs. Parents William Andrews 1835 and Lydia Rooks. Any chance this is the same Charles? I have Hundreds of Andrews on my tree from the Cambridgeshire villages if you would like to have a look.

I have nothing after Charles so have no idea what became of him - He could well have moved to London.

Best wishes Alan Douglas-Haydon