Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARCHER - trying to find link to Saffron Walden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 19 Nov 2007 13:49

My grandfather was Frederick Joseph Archer born 1891 Stratford London. Father William Archer born 1865 in Walthamstow yet in the census he lists Saffron Walden. Family say relatives come from there so maybe he didn't know. His father was Stephen Archer, married to Sarah Blackburn but I cannot find Stephen anywhere. Any information greatly appreciated.

trishcurtis

trishcurtis Report 19 Nov 2007 16:12

hello Robert I found a marriage record between a
Stephen Archer and Sarah Ann Blackburn 1863 July-Sept vol 2a page 1091 Thanet Kent

Stephen Archer b T Wells Kent 1837
Susan A " b Ramsgate Kent 1847
Stephen J 16
George 12
Elizabeth 7
Eleanor 4
Alfred 2

he is a barman living West Ham Walhamstow
8 south grove road

Sarah A Archer widow 43 lincenced victualler
Elizabeth 17
Eleanor 14
Alfred 12

1901 just Sarah living Camberwell St George

death record Stephen Archer b 1836 died 1888
Jan-Mar age 52 Marylebone 1a page 436

They don't appear to have a son William though

possible parents for Stephen
George Archer 35 brickmaker b Tonbridge
Harriet 30
Shanon 17
Stephen 14 b T Wells
George 12
Harriet 9
Amos 7
John 2
Fanny 1
Mary A 9 months

George 25 brickmaker
Harriet 25
Ellen 7
Stephen 5
George 2

no Shanon but Ellen age about right maybe mis heard it on 1851??

Pat

Robert

Robert Report 26 Nov 2007 20:29

thanks for your effort in that but I dont think they're right. I found them too but have a 90% link back through William Archer born Saffron Walden 1858, father Henry born 1830 but can't read his wife's name.

William is listed in 1861 census for Saffron Walden (age 3) having brothers Rosetta, Bertha and Isabella. His children were Bertha, William, Frederick and Rosetta.

I have photo's of William Archer and family confirm he was a railway guard, which is how he came to be in London. Census 1891 in Stratford says he does have a wife Sarah, though it looks like she was born in Stepney.