Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Angus McKay Armstrong went down with his ship

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 8 Jan 2008 07:02

"The Duke of Albany" in the North Sea about 1916 - he was in his early 30s I believe. He is my grandfather - he was a champion swimmer. He apparently had 2 brothers James and John (Jack) and they moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne. I believe they were all born in Glasgow and they could have a connection to Skye. Angus had 2 children to Eleanor - John and Mary (born 22.12.1915). I am Mary's daughter Linda and I would dearly love to make contact with any relatives now living and can help me set up a family tree for my Mum's side of the family. John Armstrong, my uncle and his wife Gladys had one son - Andrew Angus Armstrong born in 1954 - last I knew he was a deep sea diver in the North Sea. I would dearly love to find him too. Thanks to anyone that can help me. My parents, Mary and Sam (Silas) Cottle emigrated to Australia in April 1956 - I have 2 brothers David and Allan Cottle. Thanks again, Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jan 2008 09:43

A bit about the ship from online.....

Duke of Albany SS was built in 1907 for the Lancashire & Yorkshire and London & North Western Railway Company (joint services) to run on the Heysham-Belfast route. On the 26th August 1916 when being used as an Armed Boarding Ship she was torpedoed by German submarine UB-27 when on Government Service when 20 miles E from Pentland Skerries, Orkney. Owned by Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co, Goole.

ref. used: British Merchant Shipping Losses WW1

Gwyn

Heather

Heather Report 8 Jan 2008 10:12

Thats really interesting info Gwyn -

LINDA, have you looked on the CWGC - war casualty site?