Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Arnott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barobalti

Barobalti Report 31 Jul 2007 19:50

James Arnott, my G2 Grandfather was born on 30th July 1832 in Campbelltown to John Arnot(t) and Sarah McAllister. From my research so far I can guess that John Arnot died some time around 1839 to 1841, before the Census. Sarah McAllister (several variations on the spelling) died in Campbelltown on 24th June 1879 at in Bolgam Street. The Informant was a John McCallum, grandson of Corbett's Close, Campbelltown; certified by William Gibbon (Gibson?) MD. Sarah was the daughter of James McAlister and Mary Bannatyne (???). On 21st June 1864 James Arnott married Margaret Dunn in Stirling. Somewhere along the line (my record-keeping although improving has been haphazard at best in my first attempts at genealogy) I saw that James had “died at sea” – perhaps it had been on Margaret’s Death Certificate? The 1881 Census shows James’s spouse Margaret as being a widow; however, my research shows that one James Arnott died on board the ship Antemar (?) of hepatitis in 1883. The 1878 Return of Deaths at Sea has a James Arnott (34, Farmer) expiring on board of heart disease and dropsy on board the Sarah Bell. However – James’s occupation is shown as labourer (deceased) in my Great-Grandfather's 1891 Death Certificate. MORE confusion: The 1864 Wedding Certificate of James and Margaret shows his age as 28, when it should say 32 (Could this be conceit or typical of the literacy and numeracy levels back then?) Question – Does anyone have knowledge of this James Arnott and more information about his ancestors? Question – If they lived in Campbelltown all their days, where are the Arnotts and McAllisters likely to have been buried and have those monumental inscriptions been collated? Any help appreciated!