Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Atkinson 1745-1813 of Westmorland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 10 Apr 2008 23:16

I am trying to get more information about the Atkinsons of Scalthwaiterigg/Docker, Westmorland/Cumbria. I have got as far back as William 1745-1813, who married Eleanor Metcalfe 1750 of Sedbergh, Yorks,- where the family eventually moved. I would be so interested to hear if anyone else is researching this family.

JenW

JenW Report 10 Apr 2008 23:48

I'm guessing you meant they married in 1775 otherwise william married when he was 5

ELEANOR METCALF Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: WILLIAM ATKINSON Family
Marriage: 12 MAY 1775 Sedbergh, Yorkshire, England

JenW

JenW Report 10 Apr 2008 23:52

I've found 4 William Atkinsons born in 1745 in Westmorland. Do you have anything more specific about his birth?

JenW

JenW Report 10 Apr 2008 23:54

1. WILLIAM ATKINSON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 13 OCT 1745 Grayrigg, Westmorland, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN ATKINSON Family

2. WILLIAM ATKINSON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 28 APR 1745 Beetham, Westmorland, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM ATKINSON

3. WILLIAM ATKINSON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 26 MAY 1745 Beetham, Westmorland, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM ATKINSON

i think no.s 2 and 3 might be the same person and the april 'christening' is actually the birth

Lynda

Lynda Report 11 Apr 2008 10:39

Hi Jenna,
The first William is the right one, who married Eleanor in 1775. (I think she was born in 1750 & died 1815)
They went on to have 8 children - Agnes 1777, Elizabeth 1778, Thomas 1781, Esther 1785, James 1786, Eleanor 1787, Dorothy 1789 & Nancy 1790.

Isaac Metcalfe was a witness at their wedding,- I presume her brother.
I really would also be interested to hear what you know (if anything) about the Metcalfe family if at all possible.
I have Eleanor's parents as John & Esther, but I haven't got any further than that as yet.
Thanks a lot,
Lyn

JenW

JenW Report 11 Apr 2008 17:13

I don't actually know anything about any of these. I've just done the search for you
Jenna

Lynda

Lynda Report 17 Apr 2008 11:08

Thank you.
Lyn

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Jul 2008 12:44

Hi,
I've seen a lot recently about the Atkinson's in Westmorlands-did any move to the Castleford-Yorkshire area?

Lynda

Lynda Report 19 Jul 2008 13:32

Hi Margaret,
I don't know of any of "my" Atkinsons moving to Castleford, but there are so many Atkinsons in Westmorland it is a difficult family to do.
Thank you for your help though. Maybe some did, that I don't know about yet!
Lyn

Lynda

Lynda Report 13 Oct 2008 11:43

Hi Audrey, I don't think it is the same family.
I have a Thomas 1842, William 1844, John 1846, Jane 1849, Elizabeth 1852 & Agnes 1856, - all children of William1809 & Agnes 1820, all born in Sedbergh, Yorks. Is this of any help to you?
Lyn