Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William (Henry)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Apr 2008 15:47

I am looking for relatives of William (Henry) Atkinson who died at Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S.A. in May 1965. He was born in Hunslet Leeds England on 5th April 1877 and his parents were Daniel Atkinson and Ruth Hancock. He left his home in Sheffield for the U.S.A. somewhere between 1901 and 1924. He is a great uncle of my husband.
Margaret Atkinson

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Apr 2008 14:45

Thanks Jan, already tried Ellis Island but he does not appear to be on their list.

Catrina

Catrina Report 18 Apr 2008 20:18

Hi Margaret
Have you tried findmypast. they have passenger lists. Did he go alone or was he married ? That would perhaps help as they have a few William Atkinsons but it might be easier if you have an"accompanied" name. These Atkinsons are tricky as the name is more common than you think

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Apr 2008 15:18

How right you are Catrina, these Atkinsons are very tricky. I cannot find out whether William Henry was married or not, so don't know whether he went out alone. I have looked in Find my Past and there are 3 there (two travelling to Boston and 1 to Philadelphia) will have to buy some units I think and have a look, but thanks anyway.