Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 1 Jul 2008 12:39

hi,iam trying to find out the d.o.b. of my father in law richard atkinson he got married in 1935 age 25yrs in newcastle upon tyne registry office he died in 1967 age 63 yrs these dates give him to different birth dates 1910 and 1904 all i know is his fathers names was septimus and his wifes name was frances broderick but i still cant find his birth record i have found a few richard atkinson but they are not him please can anyone help
sue x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 1 Jul 2008 12:43

Susan

It is very common for death certs to be incorrect... it's also common for age at marriage to be altered, but thats more a female thing!

I would suggest his age at marriage is likely to be the correct one. He gave that age himself as opposed to his death which would only carry the age the person reporting his death believed him to be...

Tracey

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Jul 2008 12:45

I was trying to find Septimus' marriage record to see if that would help with pinning down Richard's birth ...

Found this - not sure if it helps or not:

Marriages Sep 1902 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atkinson Septimus Fenwick Luton 3b 883
Kerridge Frances Evelyn Luton 3b 883
Skeggs Joshua Luton 3b 883
Welch Susan Luton 3b 883

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 1 Jul 2008 12:46

Possibly him??

Births Sep 1909
Atkinson Richard Wigham Newcastle T. 10b 176

If he married before Sept 1935 he would still have been 25, his 26th birthday having not happened yet.

Tracey

Samspade

Samspade Report 1 Jul 2008 12:47

Has your father in law any siblings that are younger than him?can check mother's maiden name after 1911

Oh I read that completely wrong!maybe time to invest in some specs lol

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 1 Jul 2008 12:51

I think Susan means Richard married Frances Broderick? - Confirmed this, the marriage was 2Q 1935, Newcastle 10b 257.

So she's saying she has his marriage cert to Frances and only knows those details...

Susan, who were the witness's?

Looking at the birth i found and that indeed it was before Sept 1935, this means Richard would have been 25 and not yet 26, I would suggest this is the right birth...

You can stipulate the father's name when you order the cert through the GRO online.

Tracey

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Jul 2008 13:05

OK - I've been having a think.

Post the exact date of the marriage and the exact date of the death. I'll work out the possible date of birth range based on both events.

Then you can write to the GRO - with the details (I did this with my grandfather's birth registration). You fill out a form with the info you know but include a covering letter and ask them to do a 3 year search. In this case, you might need them to do a 6 year search or even a 9 year search to cover the possible range. It does take a bit longer - I think in my case it took about 3 weeks - but with a name like Septimus for a father they should be able to find the chap!

Jill