Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William and James Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Jan 2010 18:11

James Atkinson, b. 1896c . His father was William Atkinson and both were coal miners. In 1918 James was a private in the Northumberland Fusiliers and married Gertrude Moncur in Beverley, East Yorkshire in 1918. James had a witness to his marriage called Evelyn Elizabeth Dunn. Would I be able to get data on where James originated from by going to the Northumberland Fusiliers Museum?

jansmith

jansmith Report 16 Jan 2010 18:18

not sure that they would hold records ,do you have his army number his records might be on ancestry site.
possible 1901 father coal minerName: James Atkinson
Estimated birth year: abt 1897
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Newsham, Northumberland, England
Civil parish: Cowpen
Ecclesiastical parish: Horton
Town: Newsham Freeholds
County/Island: Northumberland

Household Members:
Name Age
William Atkinson 41
Isabella Atkinson 37
William Atkinson 14
Joseph Atkinson 10
Peter Atkinson 8
Annie J Atkinson 6
James Atkinson 4
Archbald Atkinson 8 months
Annie Atkinson 14

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 16 Jan 2010 18:19

You're more likely to find out about where he was in WWI if you go that museum.

You might find his army records on Ancestry - but they are not all on there so don't be surprised if you don't spot them.

You should be able to find him, with parents, on the 1901 census - and maybe the 1911 as well.

Jill

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Jan 2010 21:14

Hi Jan a big thanks for replying sorry I didn't reply until now. I did actually see the Census and the family you mentioned and I was convinced this might be the family I am searching for but I just felt that I needed something which may have his address on before he married so I could get to know where he may have been born. Unfortunately he put down his training base in the army on his marriage cert which didn't help me. Someone did check Ancestry for me and managed to get medal record but it gave no personal info except his regt' no. That's why I thought about going to the museum.
A big thanks from Pat Atkinson