Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Atkinson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 29 Jul 2010 22:57

Does anyone have any information about a Sarah Atkinson who was born around 1829 in Hull Yorkshire. I believe she had 4 children---William born around 1846 in Driffield Yorkshire,John born around 1849 in Hull Yorkshire,Emma born 1850/51 in Hull Yorkshire (she died before she was 1 ) and Emily also born in Hull around 1858. There appears to be no father and in the1861 census it states she is a concubine and lives in a building with prostitutes in the dock area of Hull. Any iformation would be great

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 29 Jul 2010 23:15

Have you tried a search on this site to see if anyone else is looking for the family,
Good luck,
Liz

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 29 Jul 2010 23:18

1851 census

Name Sarah Atkinson
Age 20
Estimated Year of Birth 1831
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Occupation Meters Daur
Address 168, High Street Arnetts Place
District Hull, Humber
Parish Holy Trinity
Administrative County Yorkshire (East Riding)
Birth Place Hull
Birth County Yorkshire
in house
sarah atkinson head 20
william atkinson son 5
john atkinson son 2
emma atkinson daughter 6 months
HO 107 / 2362

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 30 Jul 2010 12:17

Thanks for replying so quickly. I too have found this info from the1851 census and have also found her in the1861 census but I can't seem to find details of any of their births or if Sarah ever got married. Do you know what a meters daur is? In the 1861 census it says her occupation is a concubine. May I ask is Sarah part of your family tree?.If so would you be prepared to share any of it with me? Thanks again Jenny C

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 30 Jul 2010 12:25

1841 census

Name Sarah Atkinson
Age 13
Estimated Year of Birth 1828
Relationship to Head of Household
Occupation Juvenile
Address Scale Lane
District Kingston On Hull, Humber
Parish Holy Trinity
Administrative County Yorkshire
Birth Place Yorkshire
Birth County Yorkshire
in house
richard atkinson 40 ( corn meter )
mary 38
ann 15
sarah 13
james 9
mary 5
william 2
HO 107 / 1230 / 8

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 30 Jul 2010 12:26

Hi Jenny sadly not part of your family just helping out
PP x

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 30 Jul 2010 12:32

Hi Jenny found this should explain his occupation

Corn Meter Official who weighed and weighed the corn at market

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 30 Jul 2010 23:02

Thanks everyone who has replied so far for my request for information about Sarah Atkinson----I can't believe how helpful and friendly you have all been. This is my first experience of using Genes Reunited and I am dead Impressed Jenny C

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Jun 2013 09:43

Hello Jennifer. I am researching my mums Atkinson family tree and have come to a dead end with my GG Grandfather John Atkinson born circa 1847/8 in Hull.
I have his marriage certificate, on which his fathers name and occupation are blank. I presumed that his mum may be widowed (although I believe his dads name should still be on the certificate but marked as deceased) or that he didn't know his dad as born illegitimate. I have searched and have found a couple of John Atkinson's that fit the bill and John with mum Sarah, concubine is one of them.
Willing to share info on my Atkinson Tree to you to see if we have any duplicate info. :-)

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 2 Jun 2013 11:14

Wendy, as this is an old posting, it may be better to send a personal message to Jennifer, by clicking on her name. She may not check this thread anymore.
Good luck, Liz

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Jun 2013 16:48

Oh thanks Liz, didn't know I could do that new to the site. I'll try it. Thanks again :-)

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Jul 2013 23:50

Wendy - I have done some more work on my Family tree . If you are still interested in looking at it - please send me a message. Jenny

Wendy

Wendy Report 15 Aug 2013 19:29

Hi Jenny. Hope you got my other message I sent to you on my watched threads. I have included my telephone number for you so please give me a ring :-) .

I am so sorry I haven't got back sooner but it's been manic this end but I'm back on track now, will explain when you ring.

Wendy

Wendy

Wendy Report 15 Aug 2013 19:32

Please look in your inbox for my message :-)

Wendy

Wendy Report 17 Aug 2013 10:39

Hi jenny

I have actually completed, in paper form, the Atkinson Tree from both John Atkinson's side and from his wife's side Hannah Jackson. I have traced her back to her grandparents Thomas and Sarah Jackson b 1794 & 1793. Am willing to send you the paper 'TREE' if you would like that.

Look in your inbox where you should find my telephone no.

Wendy

:-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Aug 2013 10:47

Has Jenny read the message?

Check your 'Sent messages'. If there is still an envelope icon against it, she hasn't yet done so.

Wendy

Wendy Report 31 Aug 2013 07:51

Hello DetEcTive :-) thank you for help, new to site. I have looked in my inbox but no reply as yet. :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2013 09:53

Look in your >>Sent<< message box - is there still an envelope icon next to it? If there is, she hasn't read it.

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Sep 2013 08:17

Hiya again DetEcTive. I have done that, so just hoping I get a reply. I'll keep looking. Thank you for your help :-)

Wendy

Wendy Report 30 Sep 2013 08:59

Hello Jennifer
I haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is ok?
I haven't done a lot more to the tree at all but plan to send out paper copies for all my Atkinson family this autumn. It may be with a Christmas card as I am running so late with my plan . If you wish to receive one I am more than willing to send it to you. If you feel a bit unsure of giving me your address then I will try (I plan to do this anyway) to get all of it on this website in due course, so keep your eyes peeled.
Take care
Wendy :-)