Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malcolm Bennett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 1 Dec 2006 22:55

Ethel Bennett nee Atkinson My line of Atkinsons history is that three Atkinson brothers who were in Cromwell's Army came to Ireland in 1649. It is believed that all three soldiers married Irish girls. One in particular which is my family line married a Miss Robinson from the townland of Annamoy, near Blackwatertown, Co. Armagh. Since then the farm of land which was Miss Robinson's has been in the name of Atkinson. The name of Joseph has been passed down through the generations and the son with the name of Joseph has always taken over the farm. So my father was Joseph as was my Grandfather and Great Grandfather before him. Then my brother and his son also had the name of Joseph. There are many Atkinsons around the Portadown area and Crow Hill is specifically mentioned. As well as the name of Joseph, Robert, Francis, William, James, Edward all stand out as family names. Descendants of the Atkinson who married into Annamoy, about three generations down the line - three brothers Robert, Francis and Thomas went to Canada and there are descendants of these three Atkinsons all over canada - Vancouver/Victoria/Calgary/Sankatoon (landis and Bigger), Ontario etc. etc. They have recently had a big celebration of being 100 years farming in the Saskatoon and surrounding area and I attended (with my husband) and met about 150 of the Atkinson descendants who left Ireland so many years ago. The new link up was made about two years ago when a Roy Atkinson, his wife and two daughters turned up at Annamoy where their forefathers were born and, of course, we have new found family all over Canada. I should mention that at these celebrations I was the only one who was actually born in Annamoy, the home place in Ireland. I must say we got a wonderful welcome and they were all very pleased that we had taken the trouble to travel out to Canada to join in with them.