Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christopher Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 17 Dec 2004 12:24

This might be of interest to some people: My ancestor John Atkinson married at Beverley ERY in 1804 and had children baptised at Bishop Burton in 1808. At his marriage he stated he was in the Cumberland Militia.I have been trying to locate his place of origin and family: I'm back from Kew having searched through the Muster Lists for the Cumberland Militia. Apparantly they became the '34th Cumberland Regt of Foot'. They were heavily involved in the Peninsular War against Napoleon. According to the 1781-2 Muster transcript CD there were 6 companies under different Captains. I'm amazed at how far they travelled. They were forever on the march. Throughout England. They were in and around East Yorkshire for many years. Circa 1803/4/5. For some time they were camped out on Beverley Westwood. Circa 1790 I could find two William & George. William died in 1801. Regarding my ancestor John Atkinson. I first found reference to him in Dec 1799. Unfortunatelly I could find no Attestation papers (enrollment details). He then vanished, reappearing Dec 1801. Listed as re-embodied. It was hard searching the records but he was clearly there until 1815 and still appeared to be there in 1825 serving with Capt Humphrey Senhouses Seniors. At that time he was stationed at Whitehaven. He is recorded as having enrolled for Edenhall, Leath Ward Penrith. So it seems that this Atkinson branch of my family were not Yorkshire men at all. Other Atkinsons listed over the years are several: Walter who was from Leath ward (he was a naughty boy in 1800 registered as having an illigitamate child). A James & Thomas from Eksdale Ward. There were several Thomas's, a Samuel, briefly a Richard and a John Atkinson Junr who served from 1808 but I believe died 8th Jun 1811. I have the 1781 CD for the North of England happy to search for people. I have also a digital copy of one months returns for the Cumberland Militia in 1803. Happy to search these for people. The Muster Lists for 1781-2 have been transcribed and on CD. In 1781 there were 4 Atkinsons registered in the Cumberland Militia: Pte Matthew Atkinson in Capt Barnes Company (discharged 14 Aug 1781), Pte Thomas Atkinson serving under Capt. Denton (disc. 24 Sep 1782), Pte Thomas Atkinson Served under Capt Forster (Disc. 24 July 1781) & Corporal William Atkinson served 1st under Capt Barnes & then Capt Forster (when he was a private). The CD accounts for 58,946 men in the militia 1781-2 in England. Of whom 49 were Atkinsons. Of whom 757 in the Cumberland Militia. If there is any one with access to Carlisle they house the 'Militia Liable Books and Enrolment Lists', for Leath ward [D/LONS/L.13/6/3] (2,560). I would be grateful if they would search them for me. Likewise if any one knows of Atkinsons from Edenhall? For those interested an Atkinson DNA Study is under way. Very much the way forwards.