Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eunice

Eunice Report 2 Aug 2005 23:17

my gt gt grandmother was born c 1833, Sarah Jane Atkinson; her father William Hanby Atkinson was a butcher in Manchester. Sarah Jane married John Schofield; she had a brother, Thomas who married a lady called Bathsheba and the family lived at 173 Gt Ancoats St. Manchester. S.J. worked on the Smithfield market as a fish dealer. She was still working when she was nearly 70! The business ? passed down to her eldest daughter Sarah Anne. There was some connection with a farm on Bluestone lane near Moston Hall (now demolished). She may have worked alongside the family of ?T Ruddin (later his son Eugene Ruddin). One of her daughters, Alice, my gt grandmother, married Edward McKenna of Dundalk who also worked in the poultry and fish trade and he definitely knew the Ruddins. If you have any connections with any of these people I would love to hear from you. And wher does the middle name of Hanby come from in the male line? It features in quite a few of the male members but we are puzzled as to its origin.