Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Avery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 20 May 2008 19:51

I am hoping that someone may have some information to help me.

My maiden name was Brooks and I have traced back through my Gt Grandfather Walter Brook (born Herstmonceux 1878), Gt Gt Grandfather Charles Brook (Born St Leonards - Hastings 1851) to my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather John Brook (born Herstmonceux 1810c). (somewhere along the line we appear to have gained the s).

Our confusion is that when I ordered John Brook wedding certificate his father is named as John Avery. This name is not one we recognise. We also do not understand why his dads surname is different etc.

If anyone has any information that could help we would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anna

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 May 2008 20:20

Anna, you have 2 threads on this. I just added this to your other thread:

Is this your John? It's from BVRI:

BROOK, John Christening
Christening Date: 10 Sep 1809 Recorded in: Herstmonceaux, Sussex, England
Father: John BROOK
Mother: Sarah
Source: FHL Film 1468901 Dates: 1692 - 1853

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 20 May 2008 20:34

Hi,

Who was Johns wife??

There are 3 possibles around that time and area, if you can confirm this it may help.

Dee

Anna

Anna Report 20 May 2008 21:15

Wow, thanks for the replies - I wasn't really expecting many let alone so quickly.

Firstly - I have found John Brook in the 1841 to 1871 census' + his death in 1878 - I managed to get back that far it is what is happening pre 1841 that is confusing. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the census for me though. Thanks.

Margaret - That record you found is really interesting. It could definitely be my John Brook - I just know he was born in Herstmonceux circa 1810. Sorry if I am being slow but what is the BVRI ? Is this something that I could access online ? (I usually search on the IGI on the Family Search website for pre 1837 records but have never found anything for the correct John Brook or Avery).

Dee, Johns first wife was Sophia Coot(e) married in Amberley in Jan 1840. It is this marriage certificate that gave his fathers name as John Avery (Deceased).

Further history is he had 7 children with Sophia before she died in 1854. He then married again in 1857 to Hannah Pankhurst (nee Sands) and had a further 7 children (+ Hannahs 5 from previous marriages). They do appear to have moved about in Sussex but came back to Herstmonceux.
On the marriage certificate to Hannah Johns fathers name has been left blank.

Again any help on John Brook early history and connection to John Avery would be appreciated

Thanks,
Anna

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 20 May 2008 21:29

Hi,

possible matches for John seniors marriage;

JOHN BROOKS
Male
Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH WARD
Marriage: 10 NOV 1803 Pulborough, Sussex, England

JOHN BROOKS
Male
Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH BAGSTER
Marriage: 09 AUG 1805 Felpham, Sussex, England

Please excuse my ignorance if these areas in Sussex are to far out, not familiar with the area.

Dee

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 May 2008 23:51

Anna, BVRI is British Vital Records Index, not available online. It's a set of 16 cd's that you can purchase from the LDS Church through the Familysearch site.
I don't really recommend buying them. You were just lucky, I've never been able to find any of my family on them.
Margaret

Diane

Diane Report 31 Dec 2016 13:50

John Avery Brook was my 2x grt grandfather - father of your Charles, so we must be cousins of some sort. John married Sophia Coot and had 9 children including Charles and then married Hannah Sands and had 6 more! It was her 3rd marriage. I am decended from their 2nd daughter Rosetta.
Diane

patchem

patchem Report 31 Dec 2016 14:11

Welcome to genesreunited, Diane.

You may not have noticed that Anna posted this 8 years ago, and may not be expecting any replies now.

You could click on her name and send her a message. If she still has the same email address then genes will notify her of your pm.