Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beatty, James

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 20 Nov 2007 21:47

I am trying to find information about James Beatty said to be born 1849 in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. I have his death certificate (4/10/1931) and a marriage certificate for 1873. The certificate is from the Catholic Church, Bathurst. It is very poor quality but I can make out he was married on 10/2/1873 to Mary Hartnett, his name is listed as James Beddy. I can not find any record of his birth (have been told on ship to Australia, by elderly family member) but his death certificate states he was born in Bathurst but have not been able to find any records for this. I have come to end here as has anyone else I know that is researching this family. How did he get to Australia, what of his parents John Beatty (Labourer) and wife Isabel surname unknown. There appears to be no records of them either, but once again (through family) this couple are supposed to have come to Australia.
Can anyone help here.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Nov 2007 22:14

You may want to put this on records board where a number of aussie members often help out.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 22:33

Is this likely to be Mary Hartnett's birth? --

V18521213 70/1852
HARTNETT MARY A
WILLIAM
MARGARET
(district not stated at NSW registry site on line)

Not likely something you didn't know. ;)

Maybe not, though. There are 3 Mary Hartnett marriages in the NSW database, none of them to James Beddy. (And several James Beatty marriages, no James Beddy, none married to Hartnett. Not registered?)

Could this be Isabel's death?

6671/1914
BEATTY ISABEL B
THOMAS M
MARY J
ST LEONARDS

If so, is there a chance it would give her birth surname or place of birth?

James unfortunately seems to be the only Beatty who died in NSW whose parents were John and Isabel ...

17946/1931 BEATTY JAMES
JOHN
ISABEL
BREWARRINA

No other births to John and Isabel* anything resembling Beatty in the timeframe.

I'm useless other than by sometimes being able to trick search engines, especially being in Canada as I am. ;) I was lucky that my two great-uncles who were born in NSW were all properly registered and accounted for when they were born, and I found them handily at the NSW site.

Oh my goodness. Talk about tricking search engines.

I searched for:

surname B*
father John
mother Isabel*
1840 to 1860

and look what I've found:

V18472093 32A/1847
BEATIE JAMES O
JOHN
ISABELLA
(no district stated)

All your base are belong to me!!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 22:47

And for my next trick:

10695/1912 (death)
BEATTIE MARION J
JOHN G
ISABELLA
GRANVILLE

7945/1898 (death)
BEATTIE MARGARET
JOHN
ISABELLA
SYDNEY

Isabella was born early enough that it would be unusual for her to have a short form of her name, I think -- e.g. it was usually Susanna(h) rather than Susan, Johanna, etc.

It looks like both of those daughters died without marrying.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 22:50

A possible sibling birth:

V18441034 62/1844
BEATY JOHNSTONE
JOHN
ISABELLA

Might Isabella's surname have been Johnstone?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 22:55

And now we get into the realm of pure speculation:

Marriages Sep 1838
BEATTIE John Whitehaven 25 105
JACKSON Isabella Whitehaven 25
ROBSON David Whitehaven 25 105
ROTHERY Anne Whitehaven 25 105

No, dang. In 1841, David Robson is married to "Izabellow".

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 23:09

On the Isabella Johnstone theory, how about --

V18299227 1C/1829 (birth)
JOHNSON ISABELLA
SAMUEL
ELIZABETH

That would make her young to be having a child in 1844, but it was the wild and woolly days.

If the 1913 death is hers, might it give an age?

Oh, duh again -- those parents are not the same as on the 1913 death record. I may have to give back a base. ;)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Nov 2007 23:12

But how's about this one?

V18194798 1B/1819 (birth)
V181964 8/1819 (birth is shown under both registration numbers)
BEATTIE JOHN
JOHN
DULCIBELLA

Actually, there are an absolute scad of John (variants of) Beatty who died in NSW post-1846, presumably indicating that there were a lot of foreign-born John Beattys there, since there aren't births to match. So the odds are that that is not your John.

For good measure, though, this is his death:

6267/1893 BEATTIE JOHN
JOHN
DULCIBELLA
GOSFORD