Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Serena Campion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Serena

Serena Report 21 Nov 2007 22:44

I am trying to find my grandfather's sister who lives in Northampton but unfortunately I cannot remember her name - The last time I spoke to her was at my grandfather's funeral when she told me that she had a grandson that was involved with car racing. I know my grandfather's father was called Benjamin Campion and his mother was called Violet - My grandfather was also married to Dororthy, known as Doris who was from Bow in London - They went on to have six children, one being my father the youngest, Graham Campion. Hope someone can help. Sorry the information is vague.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Nov 2007 23:11

Bit of a long shot as you don't give a time frame, but is this relevant?

Marriages Dec 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Campion Benjamin R Smith Colchester 4a 1519
Smith Violet Campion Colchester 4a 1519

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Campion Benjamin I Smith Colchester 4a 1590

There's a Violet M Campion born in Poplar 1921 with mmn Smith.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Nov 2007 23:34

Oh Campions my Campions!

But no, I see your aunt is in Northamptonshire now, but before that they're Essex. My grandmother was a Campion born in Wellingborough 1896; hers hail from Cold Ashby back to the late 1700s, that I know of.

Anyhow. Was this the funeral you attended, Serena?

Name: Benjamin Ivan Campion
Birth Date: 13 Sep 1914
Death Registration Month/Year: Apr 1999
Age at death (estimated): 84
Registration district: Bromley
Inferred County: Kent
Register number: B36
Entry Number: 273

If so, then the 1914 birth record Lindy Lou found would seem to be your grandfather, and that marriage logically his parents.

But your aunt presumably is not named Campion. Hmm.

The aunt you're looking for is a sister of grandfather Benjamin, if I have it right. So your father's aunt. So she'd be pretty old now -- in her 80s?

If you were to find a copy of your grandfather's obituary, might it name his surviving sister? Whatever paper it might have appeared in, you could undoubtedly find it on microfilm in the local library.

Or, if you remember the funeral home where the funeral was, you could contact them. They might have copies of obituaries, or other family-related info.

Now, if it turns out your Campions are from Northamptonshire, we must talk!