Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

walter bennett

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

belrose

belrose Report 25 Apr 2011 14:24

I am looking for a Walter Bennett of Hull, Yorkshire. In 1945, he was a officer in the navy and married with two daughters. His age was roughly in his 30/40s. Can anyone help me try and find this man and his descendants.

Regards Belrose

Flip

Flip Report 25 Apr 2011 15:39

I think a little more info is needed, do you know where he was born or when/where he was married?

Also the wife's name & especially her maiden name may help narrow down any search, but be careful about posting the daughters info as they may still be alive, but a year and/or area of their birth may help.

belrose

belrose Report 25 Apr 2011 16:56

Thank you for your advice. However, i do not know the date of birth. All i know is that Walter had an affair with my nan, when he was married. This produced my mother. He lived on chancelands or chantlands avenue in Hull in 1944.

My nan said he was in his 30s she was 18 at the time.

Belrose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Apr 2011 17:35

One avenue to explore is an electoral register for before & after WW2 - none during. This would give you adults of voting age living at the address. You can do this in person at the nearest main library.

The nearest I can see on Google Map is :

Chanterlands Ave, Hull, North Humberside HU5, UK

Jan

Flip

Flip Report 25 Apr 2011 17:52

Hi belrose,

This is not going to be easy to track. Like Jan said the ER may be your only chance, but they don't give any info about people living there. Can you go back to your nan for more info by any chance? Maybe she knows where he was from, or remember his wife's or daughters names? Or maybe your mother knows?

Without more info I would be virtually impossible to track him, or find his service records.

Good luck, Flip

belrose

belrose Report 25 Apr 2011 18:05

yes thats it. I was wondering if was posted to Hull since he was in the Royal Navy.
Belrose

belrose

belrose Report 25 Apr 2011 18:08

I asked her if he was from somewhere else and she said oh no he lived in the above address and that he was married with two daughters. she did not know he was married untill she told him she was pregnant.
My mother as never mentioned it, to be honest i am not sure if she would know.

Belrose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 Apr 2011 18:15

Well, the address is all I can think of.
It should have his wife's name and possibly his daughters if they stayed at the same house long enough. This might give you enough to find a marriage etc. etc. But a long road I fear. If you follow this route and want more help. PM one of us. Whatever you do don't post anyone else's name on here!
Have checked Friends Reunited, there are 14 people registered for that road but almost all quite recent - the earliest lived there 1962.
Jan

Flip

Flip Report 25 Apr 2011 20:43

Jan is right, I think the only way forward is the ER for the address around 1945 and later.

Don't think the navy connection will get you anywhere as the records will be closed, and if he was an officer in 1945 it could just be that he was in the navy for the war only, and returned to civvy street after the war.

With your nan being only 18 at the time, she may not have noticed a non-local accent or remembered bits of conversation that might have given clues to his origins.

I wish you luck & let us know if we can help if you can get more info,
Flip

Laura

Laura Report 29 May 2018 09:41

I know this post is from years ago but , Walter Bennett sounds so much like my great grandfather , he was from Hull , married , he had 2 daughters and a son to his first wife and my family and I are not exactly sure have many children he had to his second wife as some were adopted out.

greyghost

greyghost Report 29 May 2018 10:01

Laura, welcome to the boards. You've noticed the thread is an old one and so belrose is probably not looking for answers now.

You could try clicking on that name at the top of their post which will give you the opportunity to send a Personal message through the GR system, if they have a current email address for him/her.

You then have to hope they are in a position to receive the message and then are able/willing to reply.

Laura

Laura Report 29 May 2018 10:07

I have only just noticed this post in the last couple of days and I just hope belrose is still looking for the answers.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 May 2018 10:35

Click on his/her name as advise by greyghost. Send a message and hope for a response.

Good luck

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 May 2018 12:31

You can also try "Search All Member Trees" - under "Search" at the top of this page.
Search for Walter Bennett, born Hull.
There are several people of that name born in Hull in years which would make them in their 30's in 1945.
None of them seem to be in Belrose's tree, but maybe one of them is your Walter in someone else's tree.

EDIT:
Actually, one of them may be in your tree?? One tree owner is called Laura.

Click on "Find out more" and send a message, explaining briefly your reason for contacting the tree owner.

Worth a try!