Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Edith Billings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Roger

Roger Report 6 Dec 2007 01:06

My grandfather's birth certificate gives his mother as Edith Bowen, formerly Billing (no s on the end). Census records for the family show her birthplace as Warbleton, Sussex, around 1855, but the only name I can trace from there is Edith Billings (with an s), daughter of Jeremiah and Mary Billings. I haven't traced a record of birth for Edith Billings or Billing around 1855, but Edith Billings first appears in the 1861 census. Can anyone throw any more light on this please?
Roger Bowen.

Victor

Victor Report 6 Dec 2007 01:14

Would this be what you are looking for.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITH BILLINGS Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 15 OCT 1854 Warbleton, Sussex, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JERRY BILLINGS Family
Mother: MARY

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C042842 1813 - 1896 1468993 IT 1 Film NONE

Sheet:

Victor

Victor

Victor Report 6 Dec 2007 01:16

Here are all the children listed for that church.

Results for: Billings, British Isles
Father: Jerry , Mother: Mary
Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: C042842
[refine search]
Prepare selected records for download

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 3
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. EDITH BILLINGS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 15 OCT 1854 Warbleton, Sussex, England

2. EVA BILLINGS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 30 NOV 1856 Warbleton, Sussex, England

3. EPSIE BILLINGS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 01 MAY 1859 Warbleton, Sussex, England

Victor

Victor

Victor Report 6 Dec 2007 01:18

This looks like the marriage of Jerry and Mary, with Jerry's Father.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download

JERRY BILLINGS Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: RICHARD BILLINGS Family

Marriages:
Spouse: MARY BARHAM Family
Marriage: 19 MAY 1847 Etchingham, Sussex, England

Husband Age at Marriage: 26
Wife Age at Marriage: 30

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M148031 1561 - 1881 1067148 Film NONE

Sheet: 00

Victor

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Dec 2007 04:58

Roger,

I would suggest that this is a minor spelling error in an era when most people were illiterate!

The registrar may have misheard the mother's maiden name, she couldn't read, so didn't know that he had spelt it wrongly.

That's how names have evolved over the centuries!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Dec 2007 05:03

Have you thought of getting Edith's marriage certificate to see how her name was spelled on there?

sylvia

Roger

Roger Report 6 Dec 2007 08:48

My thanks to both Victor and to Sylvia (in Canada) for their prompt replies. You've both confirmed my suspicions over Edith, and Victor has given me more info than I'd managed to dig out - I'm sure this is my great grandma. Sylvia, I'm sure you're right about the spelling error. Her marriage records would be great if there were any, but I think great grandpa already had a wife and 4 kids he'd deserted - he's one of the more colourful characters I've discovered in my past!
Again, my thanks to you both.
Roger.