Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

kathleen flora emma bremford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheree

Sheree Report 6 Nov 2007 14:40

hi im trying to find my mums birth mother. her name is kathleen flora emma bremford and she lived at chorley common cottages in milland with her mother.my mum was born in july 1947 at st lukes hospital, guildford and then they both went on to the home of the good shepherd in haslemere surrey. i have hit a brick wall and cannot find anything on the census. please could someone help me please

jansmith

jansmith Report 6 Nov 2007 14:53

I don't think Kathleen would have been old enough to be on the last census(1901)

Sheree

Sheree Report 6 Nov 2007 14:57

do you know where i can look ive run out of ideas

jansmith

jansmith Report 6 Nov 2007 15:00

Do you have her mothers name? did she get married ?has she died ?.
Later birth indexes have not been put online yet so without some idea of her age then it would be hard to find a birth index

Sheree

Sheree Report 6 Nov 2007 15:04

i dont know if she died or married as this is all i know mwhich i got from social services

Pete

Pete Report 6 Nov 2007 15:17

If you have no idea of Kathleen's age when she gave birth you have got to make some assumptions when trying to locate a birth registration for her.

If you assume that kathleen was 14 years old, then she was born c 1933. So you'll need to work backwards through the GRO index for every quarter of every year until you locate her likely birth registration. No small task, even with an unusual surname.

To locate a possible marriage you'll need to work through the GRO indexes of marriages from 1947. Again, another long task.

Of course, you may not find a marriage, never married, moved out of England and Wales, or perhaps died.

Good luck!

Sheree

Sheree Report 6 Nov 2007 15:21

thanks pete. where do i find these records

jansmith

jansmith Report 6 Nov 2007 15:29

Have you tried to search for the surname on this site through "search trees" you may be able to see if there is someone who you can contact that way even if its that they have the surname and area that you are looking in

Sheree

Sheree Report 6 Nov 2007 15:49

thanks ill try that

Pete

Pete Report 6 Nov 2007 16:01

The GRO indexes of Births of births, marriages and deaths for the post 1920's period are not available online for free in any easy to search format.

If you have subscriptions you can view them on Ancestry.com, findmypast and also family relatives. I think the last two have short-term subscriptions for a few pounds that will allow 50 or so searches.

Alternatively, images are also availble via the FreeBMD website but searching is very labour-intensive as the images do not have name indexes. For example, you just pull up a list of all the births for a particular quarter and year commencing with the letter B. There will be around 150 images. BREMFORD will be about two thirds of the way through, about image 100 but it's trial and error!

Bernice

Bernice Report 6 Nov 2007 16:10

Hi Sheree - yes I found the birth. the thing is in March 1948 a Florence K Bremford married a Dennis P Tomsett in Midhurst - not been able to find a marriage as Kathleen Flora E Bremford so wonder if one of other of these names was deliberately put the wrong way round??? I cannot find births for this lady in either name - not in the England or Wales indexes anyway. so the only link is may she married this Dennis Tomsett in which case they had a daughter Sandra K P A Tomsett born in Midhurst in Sep qtr of 1951.

What do you think?

bernice

Bernice

Bernice Report 6 Nov 2007 16:12

Hi Sheree - Have searched for her birth from 1925 to 1932 but unfortunately not found in either Florence or Kathleen name - in fact back then there was only about 3 births in total with that surname.

Have you looked on the Search Trees - I just tried it and there is a chap from Guildford called Carl who has a tree with name Bremford - it may be worth contacting him.

Kind regards
Bernice