Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

nottingham

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 18 May 2010 14:15

nottingham

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 May 2010 14:35

East Midlands region of the United Kingdom

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2010 14:36

lace-making area

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 May 2010 14:38

famed for its links with the Robin Hood legend

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 18 May 2010 14:46

I live there, famed for Robin Hood, and Brian Clough Honorary Citizen.

Boots, Raleigh Cycles long gone, Players fags

Once nominated as the gun crime capital of the UK.

George

Mary

Mary Report 18 May 2010 15:53

And don't forget the Sherriff.

Maryb

He''ll come and get you if you don't give us more info to go on.

Julia

Julia Report 18 May 2010 16:16

Ooh George, I am only about 10 miles down the road, on the borders, at the confluence of the Cromford,Erewash and Nottingham canal. Have always seen it as the city for shopping from here, and gone there since a child.
So, now that Budgie seems to have left us, ther's only me and thee from these parts.
Julia in Derbyshire

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 18 May 2010 16:35

Hi Julia

I think there are one or two more from around these parts, probably hiding somewhere.

Been to Cromford Mill a few times, i like going into Derbyshire, so many nice little villages to wander around, and the scenery is magnificent.
Brings back memories when i used to go touring around there on my Scooter.Do it now in a bit more luxury.

George

Julia

Julia Report 18 May 2010 16:56

There is an old sayiing that goes," If a virgin walks passed the stone lions outside the Council House in Market Square, the lions will roar". LOL Think about it.
Julia in Derbyshire

Edit. 8 postings on this thread, and Heather has still not come back and told us what she means by just posting the word Nottingham.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2010 17:02

wossa virgin!!!!!

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 18 May 2010 17:06

"If a virgin walks passed the stone lions outside the Council House in Market Square, the lions will roar".

So thats what that noise means whenever i walk past those lions, always wondered LOL.but then i am so naive.

George

Flick

Flick Report 18 May 2010 17:27

My paternal grandfather and his antecedents are from Nottingham

The "Trip to Jerusalem" used to be 'the' place to go (or it was when I went) - is it still?

It used to be said that the girls in Nottingham were the prettiest in the country

Christine2

Christine2 Report 18 May 2010 17:29

I went to a meet in Nottingham to collect Gaynor bear and I have a photograph of me sitting astride the lion ;)
I have a photo of Gaynor bear drinking my coke in the Trip to Jerusalem too :))

p.s. Of course we are Flick :))
p.p.s. I forgot to mention that we often walk the Cromford Canal. It's beautiful.

Julia

Julia Report 18 May 2010 17:42

Christine2, are you from Nottingham then.

George, you are incorrigible.

Flick, The Trip, is still the 'in place' if you will pardon the pun.

Had many a half of shandy in there in my young and carefree days,( Larger had not been invented then). There and The Royal Children. I would only be about 16 (yes underage) when I was with work friends in the latter, one Saturday night. We were offered some 'funny fags'. I was frightened to death. I was only a village lass from about 10 miles away, and didn't know about the 'fast' life of the big city. I caught the first bus back to where I lived, and me Dad, as usual, met me off the bus, and took me to a 'lock-in' at his local. Alright to be out drinking late with yer Dad, but not in Nottingham. I am talking about leaving Nottingham on the 10.00 .bus. It was the one and only time in my life, that I have ever been offered those kind of drugs.
Julia in Derbyshire

EDIT - Christine2, which part of the Cromford Canal do you walk.

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 May 2010 17:58

and Heather has still not come back ...........

Not really surprising... would you ??

Heather, we're only messin til you return to sort us out.

Julia

Julia Report 18 May 2010 18:40

Have to go off the board now for normal domestic activities !!. Will look in tomorrow. Come A of GG do you magic stuff !!! LOLOL
Julia in Derbyshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2010 18:54

I ain't that good!!!!

schoie

schoie Report 18 May 2010 19:28

Dont forget Lord Byron Newstead Abbey and Annesley Hills in his poems. JOAN

schoie

schoie Report 18 May 2010 20:46

forgot our famous cricket ground Trent Bridge and our beloved Larwood. Staple bros. Hardstaff. Voce and of course Jardeine Conflict Bradman and Larwood lowline body bowling. Mustnt forget our two football teams Forest and County believe Viv Anderson was the first black lad and opened the gates to play for England. (Forest. Cloughies baby) All my life in this area spent many happy hours watching all three. Joan

Christine2

Christine2 Report 18 May 2010 21:31

Only a few miles away Julia. It's our closest large town.

Re the Cromford Canal - we start at the main cafe with a coffee - then we walk along the canal (past the smelly bit:) to the next tiny cafe and have a cup of tea, then on to the old barge stop where they used to transfer the coal to the train up the cliff, then turn around and walk back to the beginning for a meal in the main cafe lol:)) So I suppose you could call it more of a drink and meal outing than a walk lol:))