Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Bruce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 21 May 2007 22:30

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather John Henry Bruce,born 17 Jan 1861 to Hannah Bruce,in the Union Workhouse,Eye,Suffolk,no father's name given. However, his marriage cert. to Elsie Annie Bratley,Sept 6 1890, in st Matthews Parish church,Leeds,gives his father as William Bruce,Carrier,deceased. John Henry was a bootmaker. Two children were born,Lucy Florence,and Sydney Thomas [my father].He was born 3rd Jan,1898, when they lived in 16 Robert Street,Pancras.Elsie Annie died 15 Dec 1899,and it seems that John Henry took the two children to Louth in Lincs,tolive with their grandmother,Lucy Bratley,and Aunt Louisa Richie. This is where I become unstuck!. John Henry not found on the 1901 census,and I next find him in Manchester,with the two children,in Broom Avenue,Levenshulme.John Henry and Lucy Florence were baptised in 1911.Why were they not baptised as babies?. JohnHenry, by, 1919 had a shop,probably at 864 Rochdale road, and married his housekeeper Martha Lunt. Ther is a possibility that he married in 1901 in Ripon,but where was he between 1900 and 1911? So two mysteries to solve - His father's true identity,and John Henry's whereabouts in the 10 years or so from 1900? Any help would be much appreciated