Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage c1906 Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 2 Jan 2008 20:25

Seeking information on a Walker Butterworth possibly married in Canada 1906 .Possibility of using John Walker Butterworth . Originating from around Heap (Bury) Lancashire.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jan 2008 20:29

Here ya go!

Name: Walker Butterworth
Birth Place: England
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863
Father Name: Walker Butterworth
Mother Name: Priscilla Howorth
Spouse Name: Ada Rogers
Spouse's Age: 35
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Spouse Birth Place: England
Spouse Father Name: John Rogers
Spouse Mother Name: Sarah Hack
Marriage Date: 5 May 1906
Marriage Place: Simcoe
Marriage County: Simcoe
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_124

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jan 2008 20:36

Not seeing any births in Ontario up to 1909 (the cutoff date under privacy legislation), but are these kids theirs?

John Butterworth 1913 Apr-May-Jun Rogers Bromley Greater London, Kent
Phyllis Butterworth 1911 Jul-Aug-Sep Rogers Bromley Greater London, Kent

That would explain why I didn't find them in the 1911 Cdn census, anyhow. ;)

Also didn't see him in the 1901. He must have come and gone in between.

Barbara

Barbara Report 2 Jan 2008 21:16

Many thanks, not the same? according to the Birth certificate I have, our Walker was born 25th August 1857, Bury Road Heywood. Registered 10th Sept 1857.Father was also Walker, a stonemason, mother Priscilla formally Howarth .Some information same ,dates confusing.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Jan 2008 21:50

Not the same?? Father Walker Butterworth, mother Priscilla Howarth -- sure looks the same to me!

Canadian records are
- usually badly written
- badly scanned
- horribly badly transcribed by Ancestry

I hadn't checked the image; I always just assume there are transcription errors somewhere in any Cdn record at Ancestry.

Checking it now, it does appear to say "Howorth". Perhaps he didn't know how his mother's birth surname was spelled, perhaps an official heard it wrong and didn't ask, or read what Walker had written wrong ...

His age is given as 43, hers as 35. Men marrying women 14 years younger than themselves might not always have stated their age accurately. ;)

Walker Butterworth's occupation on the certificate is Farmer, and the marriage was performed in Orillia, a small city (then a small town) north of Toronto on Lake Simcoe.

I can send you a copy of the image if you send me a private message with your email address.

I don't think it's too likely that we're looking at two different Walker Butterworths born in England with father Walker Butterworth, mother Priscilla How*rth. ;)

Barbara

Barbara Report 2 Jan 2008 23:29

Even more confusion!Prior to emigrating to Canada, Walker married an Elizabeth Clegg June 1881,age 23 Joiner ,father Walker stonemason. Between them they produced 12 children 6boys 6girls plus 3 stillborn or died as infants. We have him on the electral reg.1905 .When he left England his wife and 12 siblings were alive. We have him returning to his birth place around 1926 meeting one of his daughters. He returned to Canada and Elizabeth died.We have Walker deceased in Hamilton 1946.The Hamilton cemetary papers states that he was born England 1857 ,married 1881 widowed when buried.(he was on welfare at the time of his death).We are lacking info on what he did in Canada when he first arrived, when he retired he was working in a local foundary.We have his address in Hamilton were he resided. Nothing on a marriage in Canada, only it being suggested to his grandson 80's. via a third party.!!!!!!!!!

Barbara

Barbara Report 2 Jan 2008 23:53

Just to add even more confusion, during my early research when reqesting a copy of his birth cert. from Bury, I received the wrong one, it appears that on the same day two women registered the births of their sons both of whom were christened Walker, both lived opposite each other in the same street and are sequential in the actual register. What became of this other Walker we have no idea because we have never researched him once we had established that we had the right one.Whether they have become intertwined over the years who knows?
Barbara.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2008 00:38

My goodness! Yes, I had seen Walker with wife Elizabeth in the censuses, and kinda suspected that kind of tale.

Even his wife had a doppelgänger:

Name: Ada Elizabeth Butterworth
Death Date: 28 Sep 1918
Death Location: Muskoka District
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Birth Location: England

-- but the image shows father William Cox (and in the 1911 census her husband is George).

If you search at

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

you'll find a few W Butterworths and two Walters that could easily be Walker mistranscribed, in passenger lists to Canada 1901-1906:

BUTTERWORTH Walter Adult M 1903 Liverpool Canada Halifax VIEW VIEW
BUTTERWORTH Walter Adult M 1903 Queenstown Canada Halifax

... except that conflicts with being on the electoral roll 1905 ... unless his wife just put him on, on spec.

And then there's this one:

BUTTERWORTH Walker 66 M 1924 Liverpool Canada Saint John Nb

Looks like maybe yer other WB getting married, in case you're curious:

Name: Walker Butterworth
Year of Registration: 1891
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Rochdale
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 8e
Page: 41

Yup -- there are the two of them in 1891:

Walker Butterworth Elizabeth abt 1858 Heywood, Lancashire, England Head Heap Lancashire

Walker Butterworth Alice abt 1857 Heywood, Lancashire, England Head Heap Lancashire

Ontario death records are only accessible up to 1934, and I don't see a death for Ada (Rogers) Butterworth in that period.

... And the plot thickens:

Name: Ada Rogers
Birth Place: On
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Father Name: John Setts (John Letts)
Mother Name: Sarah Hack
Spouse Name: Nelson Janes (James Nelson)
Spouse's Age: 55
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Spouse Birth Place: On
Spouse Father Name: David Janes
Spouse Mother Name: Livona Rose
Marriage Date: 30 Dec 1908
Marriage Place: Simcoe
Marriage County: Simcoe
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_137

!!!

Status of both parties at marriage: widow/widower.

I neglected to check -- both Walker Butterworth and Ada Rogers reported they were widowed at the 1906 marriage.

The only birth that matches the parents' names in Ontario is:

Name: Frederick William Letts
Date of Birth: 16 Feb 1875
Father's Name: John Letts
Mother's Name: Sarah Jane Hack
Roll Number: MS929_21

But:

Name: Ada Letts
Year of Registration: 1871
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Wolverhampton
County: Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands
Volume: 6b
Page: 463

Marriages Dec 1862
Dollimore William Leighton B. 3b 222
** Hack Sarah Jane Daventry 3b 222
** Letts John Daventry 3b 222

1901 Cdn census:

Name: John Lett
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 21 Mar 1842
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Sarah J.
Immigration Year: 1870 ** (obviously slightly later, between children's births)
Racial or Tribal Origin: English
Nationality: Canadain
Religion: Salvation Army
Province: Ontario
District: Victoria (South/Sud)
District Number: 120
Sub-District: Lindsay (Town/Ville)
Sub-District Number: C-4
Family Number: 195
Page: 18
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Lett 59
Sarah J. Lett 58

1881 Cdn census:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
John LETTS M Male English 39 England Laborer Baptist
Sarah LETTS M Female English 38 England Baptist
George LETTS Male 18 England Baptist
Jennie LETTS Female English 18 England Baptist
Ada LETTS Female English 11 England Going To School Baptist
Herbert LETTS Male English 8 O Going To School Baptist

Can't find the Ada Letts - Rogers marriage though.

Looks like after 1906 both parties -- Ada and Walker -- decided to go their separate ways, and lie about the problematic marriage!

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jan 2008 19:12

UMMMM! Quite a lot to digest . Elizabeth was
my great grand-mother.
Born c1861 of William & Hannah Clegg.(nee Binns)
Married Walker Butterworth 1881 (cert.)
Children survived into adulthood:-
Minnie
Hannah(my grandmother)
Jane
Priscilla
Charles
William-Clegg- Butterworth
John Howarth Butterworth
Walker (killed in action 1917)
Elizabeth
Thomas
Delilah
(stillborn or infant)
Ada..Robert..Arthur.
Elizabeth died 31st Aug 1939. In her 79th year in Heywood (Bury New Road) Death cert plus Obituary of Attendants from local paper. Walker being a town councillor for three years(1895-1898).She lived all her life within the same area of Heywood formally Heap.Most of their early married life was spent on Crab High Farm and Lower Lomax farm.Giving up the farms in the early 1900's when Walker went off to Canada.
She is interred in Heywood Cemetery in a large double grave along with Ada . Robert . Arthur .Elizabeth(daughter) Delilah. Alongside in the adjoining grave is her Mother-in-Law Priscilla Whipp nee Howarth formally Butterworth.
I have all the Grave details and visit on a weekly basis. One of her surviving grandsons attended the funeral and I am still in regular contact with him even though he is now into his 80's.
It would appear that this puts a slightly different slant on the information that you are holding?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2008 20:22

I dunno, Barbara!

All I can do is give you the info that's in the Cdn records, as I can find it and as you requested. I don't know what slant your info would put on those records. Those records do seem to put a bit of a slant on Mr. Butterworth, who seems to have done quite badly by his wife and children.

It looks like Mr. Butterworth was a bigamist, by contracting a marriage in Canada when he was already married in England.

I guess one couldn't say that Ada Letts Rogers Butterworth James (or Nelson?) was a bigamist, because her marriage to Mr. Butterworth, when she was a widow (she said), was what we in the law biz call "void ab initio" -- it was never a marriage, because he was already married. She may have done something to have it formally declared void, but that would probably be impossible to find out.

I just don't think there's much possibility that the Walker Butterworth who married in Canada wasn't your Walker -- unless someone else had completely assumed his identity!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jan 2008 20:29

One more tidbit -- found the Letts-Rogers marriage by searching the database by her parents' names:

Name: Ida Le????
Birth Place: England
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Father Name: John Let????
Mother Name: Sarah Le????
Spouse Name: William H Rog????
Spouse's Age: 28
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Spouse Birth Place: England
Spouse Father Name: John H Rog????
Spouse Mother Name: Elizabeth Rog????
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1890
Marriage Place: Victoria
Marriage County: Victoria
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_69

The page is torn so the names are not complete.

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Jan 2008 20:51

Many thanks for all the info provided the plot really thickens, we had a search done in Canada by a local in Hamilton and he came up with all the death and work related details but could find nothing regarding any marriage ect.
Barbara