Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

charles Coggins father Rose mabel amelia coggins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 24 Nov 2006 06:09

CHARLES COGGINS M JESSE ?
My name is Diane Alexander i'm trying to find info on my great grandmother and family.
Her Name is ROSE MABLE AMELIA COGGINS Born 25 march 1883 in Richmond Victoria,
died 27 Sept 1949 in Melbourne
She married Harry Pitt WILLIAMS 10 MARCH 1904

Roses dad was Charles Coggins born Ceylon India married a Jesse ? (Rose's mother)
I WAS TOLD CHARLES COGGINS AND JESSE came from Sri lanka were they planted tea Any info greatfully recieved

Anjalee

Anjalee Report 30 Oct 2007 17:04

Hi Diane,

I'm looking for more information about my great grnadmonther and her family. She was a Coggins as well, But I don't know his or his wife's name, but have the names of most of their children.

I was told that the family moved to ceylon in the 1890s. They came to Sri Lanka to work as planters (Tea). During the early years he worked at the Uduwara Estate, Badulla as a superintendent. To my knowledge he had 3 daughters and 3 sons. I don't know the eldest daughter's name, but she was a English teacher and she was married to a Sri Lankan. The second daughter was my great grandmother and her name is MARY MATILDA. Mary was born in UK around 1892. She passed away in March, 1967.

Third daughter, JESSIEE EDITH was a matron at the national health department and she was born in 1894 and was married to another Sri Lankan. She passed away in March, 1946.

The names of the sons are FRED, CHARLES and JAMES GEORGE. James was born in 5th of March 1900.

I'm not sure if this would be any help to you. If not I have a few ideas for you to try.

One is to post on this website http://genforum.genealogy.com/srilanka/

The other is to send all the details to the Director of National archives Sri Lanka. However this might take a while cos I have sent my details and they've not found anything yet.

Dr. Saroja Wettasinghe, Director National Archives"

[email protected]

Good luck with your search.

If you don't mind let me know if you find any information.

Regards,

Pooja.