Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to trace my Cole relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 12 Oct 2008 22:24

My GGrandfather was called William Kitchenham c1905 Maidstone. His Brothers were called Frederick J Cole 1916 Maidstone, and Arthur Cole Maidstone. Their mother was called Louisa Emily Kitchenham 1881, and father called Edward Cole.

I have made a start on the Kitchenham decendents, thanks to oters out there, but id like to start the Cole side if possiblem seeing as my surname should have been Cole if my GGranfather William Kitchenham hadnt been born out of wedlock and given his mothers maiden name.

So if anyone out there can help me, and also trace whether Frederick and Arthur had any children. I think Arthur was married to Gwen, but not sure about Fred.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Oct 2008 22:50

You need the marriage cert of Louisa and Edward to make a start as that will give you Edward;s name and (hopefully) details of his father and his occupation.

Was Edward Cole the father of William Kitchenham? There seems to be a big gap between the brothers ...

Jill

Louise

Louise Report 15 Oct 2008 19:21

yeah edward was the father of william,

william kitchenham was born before they got married so had louisa's name. then frederick was born after marriage so had his dads name and so was arthur. but im not sure where arthur came into it as i cannot find details of him anywhere. its just my dad told me about my great grandfather william and is two brothers.

is there no other way you can find this info out without purchasing certificates, as ive just lost my job and am very skint at the moment, so cant really afford to do that!!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 16 Oct 2008 17:41

Not really. Up to 1901 you might be able to find people on the census returns - and they might be the right family. In some cases, with rarer names, it can work.

After 1911 the mother's maiden name is added to the birth certs of the children so you can see that when you search on FreeBMD and again, in some cases, you can work out where the family is.

Trouble is, although this might work, you might have strong evidence of some of the facts, you ultimately need a bit of proof - the odd certificate etc - otherwise you can easily end up researching totally the wrong tree and there's not much point in that.

A cert is £7 if you order through GRO. Could you not try and get a sibling, cousin, aunty or someone interested in your family tree and maybe they'll help a bit with the costs?

Jill

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 16 Oct 2008 18:31

There is this birth off ancestry

: William Edward Kitchenham
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Maidstone
Kent

MARRIAGE

Edward Cole 1907 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Maidstone Kent
Louisa Emily Kitchenham 1907 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Maidstone Kent