Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wm Coleman, High Street Hastings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 8 Nov 2007 22:49

Pikes Directory 1881/82 for Hastings & St Leonards shows the name Wm Coleman Baker & Confectioner at No.24 High Street Hastings.

Pikes Directory 1888 for Hastings & St Leonards shows the name Wm Coleman Confectioner at No.24 High Street Hastings & Confectioner at No.53 High Street Hastings.

I shall tell you the reason I am seeking ANY information on this person;
My great great uncle, was one Joshua Thomas.

In the censuses of 1851/1861/1871 he was listed as being a Confectioner/Baker at 24 High Street hastings.
In the census of 1881, age 56, he was listed as being a Retired Baker at a different address in Hastings.

Therefore I am sure you will see the connections of the address between my Joshua and Wm Coleman (William?). I am wondering whether this man took over the business at 24 High Street Hastings, bought the business, or perhaps was the employer of my relative.

Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.