Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mel Jamieson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel

Mel Report 10 May 2007 11:05

My partner is a direct descendant of the admiral Collingwood, who I believe served under Lord Nelson. His great grandmother told him various things about him and his family still have his medals. There is also a HMS Collingwood, I believe and the family name has many nautical connections. There are also several Collingwood streets and roads across England, apparently in honour of the admiral himself.

Hilda

Hilda Report 16 Oct 2007 21:45

We have read with interest your information on Admiral Lord Collingwood, and we too from family custom and tradition have been led to believe that we are also descendents.

However Collingwood (1749 - 1810) married Sarah Blackett and they had 2 daughters, their eldest Sarah married George Newnham who took the name Collingwood. He was the one who wrote the main life story of Colllingwood. They also had 2 children but they died without issue. The second daughter Mary Patience, married Anthony Denny, and again they also had 2 children. However because there were no sons the title became extinct.

It could be that you have other information which might help us in our search and we would be delighted if you could share this with us.

Marlene

Marlene Report 25 Dec 2007 12:53

I grew up with the story that our family was connected to Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, but it is all a bit vague.
My gt grandmother was Hannah Collingwood,1869, kent. Her father was Alexander Thomas Collingwood,1836, London, his father was Joseph Collingwood 1804 London. Kathryn B has given me some info that Joseph also had a brother John Nelson Collingwood,1810, London ,Edward, 1804London and sister Elizabrth abt 1798. Josephs parent were John and Hannah Collingwood, I need to make a connection with Northumberland.
Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood had a bother John and Wilfred but that is all I know, can you help in anyway. Regards Marlene Dove