Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Collin(g)s 1795, Devonport

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

D

D Report 12 Jul 2008 15:35

I am looking for James Collin(g)s (this spelling keeps changing) , (a basket weaver) born 1795, devonport, devon who married rebecca hoskins born c.1800, devonport.
I cant find their marriage certificate and judging by the children i have there is alot missing:

Charlotte collins born 1842, devonport, devon, married william brooks born 1837, portsmouth, hamps in 1861, stoke demerel, devon. This is my line and i have their children downwards.

Rebecca Collins born 1832 (washer woman 1861), married william mansell in j-s, 1859, stoke demerel, devon. they had elizabeth mansell 1853 (living with her aunt in 1871)?

William Collins 1825.

I find this odd as there is such a big gap between the children.

Any extra information on the children or the parents would be gratefully received, especially regarding the marriage date.
Dianne

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 12 Jul 2008 18:55

1861 census -
James Collins aged 60 b l80l Devonport, Basket maker
Rebecca aged 60 b l80l Devonport
Address 10 Bridge Well, Stoke Damerel.
I can't find them on the l84l.
Liz

Victor

Victor Report 12 Jul 2008 20:23

Dianne
On the 1841 census living at North Side of Doidges Well, Stoke Dameral, Devonport are:
James Collins age 35 basket maker
John Collins age 15
Mary Collins age 15
Betsey Collins age 15
William Collins age 13
George Collins age 11
Rebecca Collins age 8
Please bear in mind the rounding down of ages on the 1841 census, so John, Mary, and Betsey actual ages would have been between 15 and 20. James age may also have been rounded down to the nearest unit of five.
There was no wife listed.

On the 1851 living at 10 Doidges Well, are:
James Collins age 56 basket maker
Rebecca (wife) age 51
William L 26
Rebecca 19
Charlotte 7

On the 1861 at 10 Doidges Well Devonport
James Collins age 62 basket maker
Rebecca (wife) age 61 house keeper
there are two lodgers living with them

James age shown on the 1851 and 1861 census does not fit with the census dates but this does happen. I suspect his wife Rebecca supplied the information.
She may not have been certain of his date of birth.

Details shown on the IGI were submitted by a member of the LDS Church and are suspect.

I wonder if James married twice. Widowed in 1841 but married Rebecca about 1844. . This may explain the 12 year difference in age between Rebecca 19 and Charlotte 7 on the 1851.

Hope this is helpful.
Victor Barton
Plymouth

D

D Report 20 Sep 2008 15:48

Thanks everyone, what great info, sorry for the late reply. Very greatful for your time.
Dianne