Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scott Akiens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Scott

Scott Report 14 Mar 2005 21:29

Hello everyone, I could use some help finding my great great uncle Samuel akiens. He was born in Bel-Grave, Leicester, in 1872. his full tree is listed on sites ive built. He left England late 19th early 20th century, emigrating to the us. he is the only link the akiens in my line have to America. some of the name changes to our name since 1600, ALFINS, ALKINS, AIKENS, AITKENS, AITKEN, AKINES, AKIENS, some of the maiden names, BYRNE, COBLEY, CURSLEY, GIBSON, HEDLEY, HADLEY, MASON, TAYLOR, TURNER, THACKER, GRIMES, GRIMES/WHATSIZE, WHATSIZE, FRAZIER, HERBERT, HOUGHTON, KELLEY, LESTER, PEDGE, GOODFELLOW, COCKRANE, STOKES, HILL, COLLINS, DANSON, DAWSON, JORDAN, and JONES. The akiens during the dark ages beore records began, were rumoured to have lived in a place in SCOTLAND. An important family. Akynshire. Possible names of women Samuel could have married in the US are, (to name just a few, full list on site.) ROBINSON,ROBINS, WARNER, SMITH , WILLIAMS/WILLIAMSON PRINCE / PRICE , HAND, WHEELER, WALKER, WALTERS, If you don’t see your name on our tree its because theyre still alive, which should be better news. Its not my place to nick their story. Samuel went on to live in Canada , earning himself quite a name in the Mounties apparently. I would like to get in touch with his family of today, to tell them about the family they have back in England. ive written the book of my families story, Samuels family in America are another chapter waiting to be written. All the dates in my family tree and maiden names in the akiens history, going back over 400 years are online. the book ive written I hope to publish online. Samuel akiens family in America will have a share of any royalties they earn, by telling their chapter. YOU CAN CHECK THE MAIDEN NAMES IN OUR HISTORY. The Akiens Steeple Jacks of payne street belgrave, is the most amazing true story ever told. As close to out of this world, as our name would suggest. The saddest, funniest, colourful, inspirational true story ever written. Which family is the akiens bridge to America ? they have a very vere valuable piece of a very large jigsaw. A forgotten history. Its all ready this side of the atlantic to publish.If you have any connections with the akiens steeplejacks of belgrave, you’re my family. Every akiens worldwide comes from belgrave. In Leicester. If you have any information that can help please get in touch. The way ive wrote our tree, is not just gathering dates and names, but adding stories and photos to as many on our tree as possible. Theyre worth more than just a few lines. They gave up so much for us, it’s the least I can do for my family, to make sure my kids and their kids know exactly who they are, and where they come from. The things my family got up to high above Victorian England, its just too good to not write about it. please email me. just type in the subject “AKIENS INFO..then your name” I will forward you the web address`s of our online book. Im not too bothered if youre not even family. You can read it as a matter of interest if u like. It WILL give you some new ideas on how to do your tree. ( I delete every thing else because of the number of emails I get.) goldenballsspice because I had twins on my birthday. That’s what dad called me after that. LOL. That was dads name, short for Laurence, akiens. I made him a promise the year he died, id finish writing the book we started together. Its took over 9 years, which will become only too apparent when you see the volumnes ive written. Knowing he wouldn’t be around to tell the kids himself, was the hardest part for dad that year. The morning he died, I only let go of his hand, never the dream. The saddest event you will ever read about. the birth of my twins only 38 weeks before, is the happiest you will ever read. One perfect little boy, and one perfect little girl. Born at 38 weeks. Its hard to believe theyre 9 now. Dad somehow knew our fortune was in telling our story. the old git never told me that tho !!! LOL. Bottom line, He wanted it to be full of laughs. It is. Thousands of pages of true stories with photos and documents. writing the akiens family tree and story has been my job for the last few years. i gave up a 15 year position to begin writing it. the akiens steeplejacks in particular. the akiens climbed church steeples and the collosal victorian chimneys for over 101 years. those structures that helped make this country of ours the superpower it was during that empire boom period. very often after their chimneys had been struck by a bolt of lightening, and they were cracked clean through halfway up. the akiens bought them down brick by brick, how they went up. the hardest way of all. we never blew them up or burn them out. the most dangerous for us, the safest for everyone else. the akiens had to climb above those breakages, their story is one of the most inspirational you could ever come across. imagine standing 300 foot, on a chimney where the whole stack below you rocks. for over 101 years, 4 generations took on everything put in front of them. im the generation that didnt have to climb. its the least i can do to write about my families proud history. they did one a hell of a job for us, for England. cheers all scott