Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Collins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lancsliz

Lancsliz Report 22 Jun 2006 12:18

IRISH-CARDIFF COLLINS early 1800s. Hi - have tracked back (I think) my tree to MARGARET COLLINS born c.1820. She married JOHN WHITE in 1839 in CARDIFF. They both lived at Hayes, Cardiff. On their marriage cert, her father is described as CHARLES COLLINS, Labourer. His year of birth is likely to be around late 18th century, early 19th centry in Ireland. In the very basic 1841 Wales Census, John and Margaret are said to have been born in Cardiff. By 1851, they were both born in Ireland. I think there were social reasons for lying about place of birth at the time. They were both illiterate as they put a mark on their marriage cert. In 1861 Wales Census, John and Margaret White are living next door to: DANIEL COLLINS b 1812, his wife Mary and their children Mary Ann and Johanna. In-laws? Will research them through the census records a bit more. Any tips of how to take the Collins link further or should I give up now it has reached Ireland with their poor records? Thanks. Jenny