Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sheridan Maycock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheridan

Sheridan Report 12 May 2005 14:04

Im just beginning to research my cowan origins,james cowan,renton,scotland any advice would be appreciated.at the moment i feel overwhelmed by it all.did anyone else feel the same way?

Christine

Christine Report 4 Dec 2007 14:11

Just doing the same with my family "McQueen". My great grandfather married a Jessie B cowan in the latter half of 1800's. I have to find their birthdates and perhaps a marriage certificate and all seems daunting and expensive. I use "Family Search" site sometimes, it gives some details from census records free but not all have been added to the site yet. It is a Latter Day Saints web site but you do not have to register, just go straight into search family name.
I got side tracked and did some of my mums family, should have taken note of the guidence to only do one line at a time !! It is all very interesting though, have found my "McQueen" family were boot shoe and clog makers and that my mum's side came from Cork in Ireland.
The downside is it can overtake everything else so I am having to resist at the moment as I have so much to do around the house. The other negative is it does not look like I have any rich and famous relatives.
Good luck
Chris