Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ruth Crichton (nee Johnston), b.Glasgow, Lanarkshi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 7 Jan 2008 22:04

Seeking information regarding my late grandmother, Ruth Crichton (nee Johnston), b. Glasgow, Lanarkshire, December 1893.

Ruth married Peter Crichton in 1917 in Glasgow. My father, Gordon Crichton, was born in Durban, South Africa in 1920. The family returned to the UK during the 1920s, but my grandfather and father were settled in Port Elizabeth, South Africa by the 1930s.

My grandfather remarried and Ruth remained in the UK, most likely Scotland. During the 1920s her mother, Helen Johnston, reportedly lived in Millport. Helen died in Dunblane in 1941.

Ruth was last heard from about 1950 when she exchanged letters with my late mother, Jill Crichton (nee Jennings). Earlier in her career Ruth was, apparently, a professional dancer, Highland and ballroom. Ruth and Peter reputedly managed a dance studio during their time in Durban.

A thorough search of the Scottish records has revealed neither a death certificate for Ruth nor any evidence of a second marriage in Scotland. Peter Crichton served in the RAF during the 1920s and was stationed mainly in England. It is likely, then, that Ruth spent her last years in England or, far less likely, overseas.

Any leads from Crichton/Johnston family historians are much appreciated since it would mean a great deal to me to find and visit my grandmother's last resting place.